1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2000 Suburban Won't Start

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by SHAYNIFERD, Nov 1, 2013.

1. SHAYNIFERD

SHAYNIFERD New Member

Hi All,
    I have a 2000 Suburban 1500 LT that won't start. The first time it happened was just over a year ago and the problem corrected itself a couple days later. I didn't have any other issues until about four months ago when it wouldn't fire up again. I left it in the driveway and when I got back from work the next day tired it and it started right away. No more trouble until about two weeks ago when it wouldn't start after work. I got it to start after a couple hours, but there was no rhyme or reason to it. Ran fine for a couple more days and decided to strand me at the hardware store. I had to get it towed as nothing would work this time. I tried all the tricks to reset the passlock(left in on position for 10 minutes to four hours, on off three times etc) over the next few days but nothing worked. I am not sure if there is a correlation, but the day the Suburban stranded me at work I noticed the brake light was on on the dashboard and I couldn't get it to turn off no matter what. Released the brake, turned the vehicle on and off etc, but the light has stayed on through most of the trouble. I took the starter off to make sure I was getting voltage to the starter and everything tested fine there. Took the starter to the autoparts store and they tested it and it functions fine. When I reinstalled I got the car to turn over two consecutive times but it wouldn't fire up. Cranked and then shut down completely. When I went to crank it the third time I noticed the gauges wouldn't light up. No voltage reading, no gas level etc. The security light was still flashing as it had been throughout, but that is all I am getting from the cluster. At this point I figured it was the passlock and bought a passlock bypass kit that got good reviews. Installed the passlock bypass kit tonight to no avail. The security light did go off, but it still won't start and now the dome lights won;t turn off.
    Any one else had similar problems? Any suggestions?
    Thanks in advance!
  2. SHAYNIFERD

SHAYNIFERD New Member

I ran though the electrical system and found a blown fuse labeled IGN A. The burb turns over now but will not start. I am guessing fuel pump now........... I played musical relays but no luck.
    Your thoughts?
  3. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Well, when I read the 1st post I was thinking ignition switch was bad. Now, hmmmmmmmm.

As you know, we need fire, fuel and air.

To test for fire, I like to use a one jumper cable. Pull a plug, put the wire back on it, clip the jumper cable to the threaded part of the plug and ground the other end. If you can get out of the direct sun, you should see a spark and you should be able to hear it.

Air......... check the filter for clogs.

Fuel...... probably the pump, if the relay is good and there is fuel. Some filters are external and might be plugged. A pressure check is the only way to tell.
  4. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

if the 40 AMP IGN A fuse blew then this is to the starter. did you do it ? If not then check that the wires are not damaged from fuse block to the starter. If wires are good the starter may have internal problems.

- - - Updated - - -

if you had cranking issues this can flood the engine ..if the fuel pressures are above 50 psi the engine should run . I would then check plugs for fouling ..
  5. Marcus A.

Marcus A. Rockstar

I just had a fuel pump go out on me and it blew the ECM fuse. This is common from what I hear. The fuel guage would not register and I did not hear the pump prime itself when the key was turned on. Hope this helps or rules out something for you.
  6. bigdawg33

bigdawg33 New Member

Had a similar problem with my 95 gmc sierra it was the ignition switch in the steering column.