2000 Tahoe Transmission

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by surfacedr, May 26, 2010.

1. surfacedr

surfacedr New Member

Hi guys
    My name is Tom and I have a bad 2000 Tahoe Transmission. My truck has 177K mi on it and the engine is strong (for now, I would love to hear something that would increase the power. I live at 9000 ft in Vail Colorado and drive passes a lot). A couple of weeks ago I put the truck into Reverse and went back about 6 ft and "KLUNK", "Whizz". It still will go in drive as far as I know. I just pulled it forward back into my spot.
    I have a couple of questions..
    1. New or rebuilt. I think I am leaning toward rebuilt

2. Where would be a dependable and affordable place to get a rebuilt tranny and aprox how much?

3. I have a mechanic that I trust. A rebuilt from him is about $1250 + 5 to 6 hrs install. So around $1800. Is that a good price?

4. Could just the reverse be repaired and save me a bunch of money?

Any other information you could help me out with would be appreciated. This is the first time I have ever had a transmission problem.
    Thanks for the help

2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Let me start off by saying welcome aboard, and second you might have better luck if you were to post this in the powertrain subforum.. There are a ton of gear heads on this site that would be glad to help you..

1 person likes this.
  3. Eddie Z71

Eddie Z71 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

X2! Hi, and welcome to the site! Glad to have you here!

4. canislupis69

canislupis69 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Welcome to the site!

5. mmorgan1865

mmorgan1865 Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

:sign0016: Glad to have you aboard.