2000 Tahoe Transmission

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by surfacedr, Jun 1, 2010.

1. surfacedr

surfacedr New Member

Hi guys
    My name is Tom and I have a bad 2000 Tahoe Transmission. My truck has 177K mi on it and the engine is strong (for now, I would love to hear something that would increase the power. I live at 9000 ft in Vail Colorado and drive passes a lot). A couple of weeks ago I put the truck into Reverse and went back about 6 ft and "KLUNK", "Whizz". It still will go in drive as far as I know. I just pulled it forward back into my spot.
    I have a couple of questions..
    1. New or rebuilt. I think I am leaning toward rebuilt

2. Where would be a dependable and affordable place to get a rebuilt tranny and aprox how much?

3. I have a mechanic that I trust. A rebuilt from him is about $1250 + 5 to 6 hrs install. So around $1800. Is that a good price?

4. Could just the reverse be repaired and save me a bunch of money?

Any other information you could help me out with would be appreciated. This is the first time I have ever had a transmission problem.
    Thanks for the help

2. Silverado Junkie

Silverado Junkie Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

$1800 for a rebuild? Thats just a tad bit higher than usual. My buddy put a full BTS(rated to handle 800-900 h.p.) Tranny in his powerstroke. Tranny and labor was $1350. Id rebuild your tranny and while your at it, install a shift kit in it from TransGo and get a deeper tranny fluid pan to hold more fluid. Those mods will help your rebuilt tranny last much much longer.