Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

2001 2500HD reliabilty...How's yours??

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by thrasher, Dec 20, 2012.

1. thrasher

thrasher Rockstar 100 Posts

:glasses:So, last weekend my 2500HD left me high and dry with a dead starter...2nd one. First one STB about 5 years ago. I started thinking "hmm, how many things have I had to do to MY truck":

1 - 4X4 actuator (warrantee repair)
    2 - 2 starters (5 years apart, $160.00 each time)
    3 - 3 sets front rotors & pads, 2 sets rear rotors & pads
    4 - 1 complete set of brake lines front to rear
    5 - 1 set rear axle p-brake cables & 1 middle cable
    6 - 1 battery
    7 - 3 sets drive belts
    8 - 1 set front shocks...

and aside from regular oil & filter changes, 2 air filter elements & various bulbs, thats IT!! Not bad, IMHO.

2. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I'd consider the shocks, battery, rotors, and pads all normal maintenance given the age of your vehicle and presuming your mileage is up there. If you eliminate maintenance items and things that require replacement due to normal use from your list, it's even smaller than what you have listed. :)

As for things I've done to my vehicle ... umm you don't want to see the list. (It's in my Garage link in my Signature if you actually do want to see it.) However, most of that I did not -have- to do. :)

3. Jamm3r

Jamm3r Member 1 Year 100 Posts

I think you're doing pretty well. Those are all common maintenance areas. Belt tensioner, water pump, and alternator replacements are also common.

I have had to replace the rear axle yoke due to wear in the seal area, and have a badly leaking rear main seal on the engine that I'm living with.

4. buckmeister2

buckmeister2 Member 1 Year 100 Posts

I did not have good luck with either of my duramax trucks. I bought a 2004 brand new, and had all the injectors replaced at 14,000 miles, then had another set replaced at 31,000 miles, both repairs taking 10-12 days of down time. I sold the truck immediately after that.

I bought a used 2003 d-max a few years ago, with 127K on the clock. it ran great for about 6 months, then two injectors went south. i had them all replaced at an independent garage. it ran good for a month or so, then one of the new injectors went down. I sold the truck, and will never buy another GM diesel. Also had a 2003 1500HD...great truck, but horrid mileage. I love the Chevy 1500 5.3 line up through 2002, and will drive that model truck as long as I continue to drive.

5. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

I never had any drive train issues but I replace all these fluid every 30,40,ooomi.

never replaced starter .

what I have replaced is all the rotors, 2 rear calipers, park brake shoes,2 sets of brake pads,2 front hubs,one inner tie rod,1 battery,1 alternator,1 drive belt big one,steering box input seal,all shocks also the crossmember frame rear fuel tank support rusted out. 1 set of tires.first set lasted 92,ooomi.oem AT tires.

having done all these repairs [except crossmember] it was quite cheap.tires were the biggest expense.

body and frame is in great shape ,seats/interior also excellant.

for some reason that crossmember rusted out. no other rust .

suspension,engine , drivetrain still great , never failed inspection or had any check engine lights. just the ABS when the front hubs rusted out [grease bearing seals]

2000 silverado 140,ooomi. 4X4. original owner.

6. thrasher

thrasher Rockstar 100 Posts

I just remembered a few other things - 1 set of torsion bar crossmember mounts, 1 tensioner pulley, 1 outer tie rod end.