1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

2001 2500hd trans issue

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by quicksilver8817, Oct 2, 2012.

1. quicksilver8817

quicksilver8817 Rockstar 100 Posts

Ive looked into possible issues on the site but i dont think mine fits under any of the ones i read about on the site .. I have a hard 1-2 shift. It only does it when the trans gauge is 1/4 from 0. And if im not on the gas too much it will hold 1st gear way too long and the do the hard shift ( almost like i had the truck in just first gear). The thing that gets me is that my trans temp doesnt really move up much from 0 and when it does itll go to 1/4 and thats when i get a fairly hard shift . Also, about a year ago the truck was at a trans shop and it got a new trans pan installed so idk if they would of been able to tell if anything was bad by just having the pan off . My friend i bought the truck off of said it always has done this since he owned it . Any ideas i really would like not to blow up my trans .

2. quicksilver8817

also i have no check engine light on .. if that helps any

3. quicksilver8817

anyone else have the same problem?

4. the phantom

the phantom Active Member 2 Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

I found this in the p1870 thread.
    ........A harsh 1-2 shift or DTC P1870, caused by wear in the..."Control Valve Body", may be difficult to duplicate when the transmission temperature is below 93°C (200°F).

Read more: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sh...code-p1870-for-harsh-1-2-shifts#ixzz292V6VX7D

This almost sounds like what your describing less the CEL trouble code. You may have read this already but it may just not quite be in range for the sensor to kick your CEL on. Also I have heard that this condition does exist beyond the years stated in this service bulletin. When I had my transmission rebuilt in my 03 Cadillac the transmission shop I took mine to told me this update was still being done to newer transmissions (the 4l60-E) Good luck!!

5. quicksilver8817

Thank you i read that thread but i wasnt too sure if it applied to my truck. i thought my truck has a 4l80e .. its a 2001 2500hd 6liter? this issue is really starting to piss me off .. to top it off my front diff axle seals are leaking :(