1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2001 4x4 Front Diff Leak

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by DLeeHarley, Jul 27, 2009.

1. DLeeHarley

DLeeHarley New Member

:sign0144:Hey All, I am brand new to this site so be kind. LOL I've got a 2001 Silverado Ex-Cab 4x4 Sportside (Stepside) with the 5.3 motor. My problem is that the flanges on my front diff are leaking. The drivers side is only weeping a little, and the passenger side is only a little worse. But they need to be repaired. My Chilton manual only shows removing and replacing of the diff. My question is can this be repaired without removing the whole thing from the truck? If so where can I find out how? Any help will be appreciated very much I assure you! Thanks,
  2. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

They all weep some. Is it leaving a puddle. Do you have to top off every oil change? If not, I wouldn't worry about it right now. I believe you need some very specialized tools, including a slide hammer, to work on them. If it's not leaving a puddle, you'll never get your money back.
  3. Joeairforce

Joeairforce Epic Member 5+ Years 100 Posts

What flanges are you referring to? A pic might be helpful. I'm just having a hard time picturing what your talking about.
  4. DLeeHarley

DLeeHarley New Member

Here you go Joe.

Attached Files:

5. DLeeHarley

DLeeHarley New Member

Here's a couple more

Attached Files:

6. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Your driver side flange seal can be changed by unbolting the axle shaft from the flange on the differential. Then the flange can be pried off with a pry bar or a hammer and brass drift.

Your passenger side is a little different. The axle assemble with the actuator attached has to be removed from the differential. Then taken apart on the bench to replace the seal.

Also your CV joint boot <in the picture> is open and is now contaminated with dirt. The axle can be taken apart, cleaned and re-greased but time wise it's cheaper to buy a rebuilt axle. You can get one for about $75 at Auto Zone.
  7. DLeeHarley

DLeeHarley New Member

Thanks Jimmiee for your input. I really don't want any part in taking the diff completely out of my truck, but what am I going to do? LOL It needs to be fixed although I may wait a little first. On the subject of my axle shaft it's only a trick of photography I guess because the boot is fine and not broken, cracked or bad in anyway. I guess it was just the angle and shadows. After looking at the Pic myself, I went back out and double checked it for sure. Thanks again,
  8. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I have a friend who had the same problem as you have. All 3 seals leaking. He drained a pint of oil from his diff and added a pint of engine oil stop leak. I told him it wouldn't work but I was wrong. It stopped leaking at all 3 seals in 1 week. He then dumped the oil and added synthetic oil. That was a couple of years ago. He still drives the truck. :)
  9. Joeairforce

Joeairforce Epic Member 5+ Years 100 Posts

You don't have to take the whole diff out. The axle tube unbolts from the side of it and comes out leaving the rest of the diff in the truck. All the seals can be replaced without removing the diff.....

There's an idea! :glasses:
  10. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I might have to try that. Both of my IFS front diffs weep. I just put new lube in the truck, but that's no big deal.

Just dump it down the storm drain, right..........