2001 5.7 Savana / Express van

Discussion in 'Chevy Express Forum (GMC Savana)' started by vannooch, Apr 28, 2011.

1. vannooch

vannooch Rockstar

Has anyone done any engine mods on their 5.7 savana/express?
    What did you do?
    What are the results?

2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Welcome to the club. Theres a few guys on here with vans, may take some time for a response but I'm sure they can help you.

3. chucksrt

chucksrt New Member

I am in the process of building a 383 stroker for my 96 conversion van. You are limited on what you can do because the aftermarket sucks for these vans!!! you can get your computer reflashed by a company like PCMforless. But before you do get a tune for it I would figure exactly what other mods you want to do! Headers are $700 and a nice exhaust would help out. I know a guy who bores out throttle bodies around $200 give or take. if you want to shell out some money you can supercharge it. I don't know what you are looking to do? there are ways to beef up the trans too. What are you looking to do?

4. vannooch

vannooch Rockstar

I was thinking about a chip, cold air intake, maybe exhaust. Didn't know about the transmission mods. What does that involve? It has a heavy duty tow package on it with 3.73 geearing and tranny cooler.

5. chucksrt

chucksrt New Member

The 4L60E trans has mods that you can do like the corvette servo upgrade. http://racetransmissions.com/store/index.php/cPath/203_204_211_318
    to full out heavy duty builds.

I don't think there is a "chip" but you can have the computer reflashed. I would do all of you listed mods first then Dyno it and send the computer with your dyno results to the programmer so they can adjust to your cars needs, not just some generic tune! I would get A/F info when on the dyno!

6. vannooch

vannooch Rockstar

Isn't this essentially the same engine that is in the pick up truck? There is a 5.7 in the corvette also, correct? Is it possible to swap out the computer with a truck computer and add a chipset? Or better yet a corvette chipset?

7. chucksrt

chucksrt New Member

I don't know the computers are interchangable between the different makes? I don't see a truck chip being any better than the vans. The corvette is mainly for hp and you need something that makes tq also! Your best bet is to just have your computer tuned to your van!

8. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I would think that there would be some similarities, but I'm not sure if they can be ported straight over. Anyone?