2001 Chevy 4x4 problems

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by Ariner1979, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Ariner1979

Ariner1979 New Member

I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem.
    My buddy has a 01 chevy1500 shortbed the 4wd isn't working at all and the light won't even come on. I traced the wires back to the ball type switch on top of the t case (np261). If I were a betting man I'd say the ball switch isn't working. I say this because my reverse switch on my nv3500 has the same style switch and it went bad. Like I said I just wanna know if anyone else has had this problem before I make him go buy a new switch. Input anyone?

2. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Most of the time, when a GM 4x4 no longer acts as it should when in 4x4 selection, and the service 4WD light is not on, the problem is usually in the disconnect on the front passenger side axle. Failure to engage will not let the front axle provide traction.

3. Ariner1979

Ariner1979 New Member

I'm not getting power to my actuator and the light I was talking about was was the light that just says "4x4". My mistake for not making that clear but thanks for the reply!

4. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Which may be an indication that the TCCM has not tried to switch into 4x4

So, if you are saying, when you switch to 4x4. the 2wd light goes out, but the 4wd light does not come on; then yes, the problem is probably the switch. Try twisting the knob 20 to 50 times, the wiping motion may clean the contacts.

5. Ariner1979

Ariner1979 New Member

Yeah like you said the 2wd goes out but the 4x4 light doesn't come on. Ok thanks I'll try that with the switch.