1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2001 Chevy Silverado tow/haul help

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by sammibammi34, Nov 9, 2013.

1. sammibammi34

sammibammi34 New Member

Hello!
    Well I've been having issues with my tow/haul where the light will come on and then engage the transmission to go lower. At times the light would come on after turning the car on or even while I'm driving. Just last week my transmission went out so we had to rebuild it and just yesterday I got the truck back. This morning the light came on by it's self and engaged the transmission again. So I was wondering if anyone knew any possible reasons for why it would be doing this. My dad thinks there may be a broken wire or that there's a problem with the shifting handle. Just to let you guys know I have a 2001 Chevy Silverado 1500 Ls 4x4 with automatic transmission.
  2. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Hi, welcome to the site. I think I recall a couple of threads describing your problem. I believe the problem was a broken/cut wire in the steering column. Someone who knows for sure will probably hop on here, but in the wait time try a search.
  3. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

4. sammibammi34

sammibammi34 New Member

oh cool thank you guys!! definitely helped :)
  5. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Glad to help. Please try the chicken and tip your server.
  6. Jojo7787

Jojo7787 New Member

Had the same trouble. Two wires runs into your gearshift. Mine was broke rite as they run into the lever. Before you take the plastic off your column u can pull the rubber boot out that's around the lever and u can see the wires. Wanting to say they are orange or yellow. Can't remember for sure.