2001 Chevy Tahoe, motor swaped, how to tell what exactly which motor I have?

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by lowpost, Apr 4, 2012.

1. lowpost

lowpost New Member

Is there a simple way to tell what model motor you have in a car? My 01 Chevy got a motor put in and after a couple of days looking at it, it looks like a slightly smaller engine than what I remember having.....

2. CowsPatoot

CowsPatoot Member

Unless they swapped a V6 in place of the V8, then you won't be able to tell by physical size...all the V8s are the same dimensions on the exterior. It is the bore and stroke of the cylinders that make it a "bigger" or "smaller" V8. You can verify it is still a V8 by counting the spark plugs.

3. lowpost

lowpost New Member

I do realize this but I'm looking for the actual year and model of the V8 motor....

4. 08_rado_rocker

08_rado_rocker Member 2 Years 500 Posts

I'm just trying to understand better.. but what exactly makes you think that the motor in your vehicle now is "smaller"?

---------- Post added at 12:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:30 AM ----------

But to answer your question a lil better... the casting stamps are usually located on the passenger side of the block near the top of the bell housing casting if I'm not mistaken, but I'll research some more and see what i can come up with.

---------- Post added at 12:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 AM ----------

http://outintheshop.com/faq/casting/castings2.html

This should help if you can find the casting number on the block. And i think i was wrong before.. it may actually be on the DRIVERS side of the block.

5. lowpost

lowpost New Member

Hey thanks, I just looked in those areas without success. Should I be looking from underneath or ok from above? Also would it be above or below the cam covers? Below the exhausts? P.S I also have some paperwork from the salvage yard, which they confirmed today is from 02' Silverado. I had an 01' Tahoe, and I know those are pretty much the same... I'm just trying to satisfy my own itch of knowing from what's on the motor/engine for myself vs. what the receipt says...friends of mine have had issues with the installer...trying to see I got what receipt says I paid for.... thanks very much...

6. dedmon27

dedmon27 Rockstar 100 Posts

I don't think you can tell between a 4.8 and a 5.3 from the exterior. You have to get into the internals.

7. 08_rado_rocker

08_rado_rocker Member 2 Years 500 Posts

Actually the more i think about it.. dedmon is right. even if you DO find the casting number on the block... the 4.8/5.3 block is EXACTLY the same therefore will have the same casting number. I'm gonna make a couple calls and see if there's any other way of telling. Cause I'm starting to think that the only way would be to pull a head off and maybe measure bore size on it? My buddy is a mechanic for GM and maybe he can help me out with his knowledge. Maybe a couple of sensor locations will be different from the 4.8/5.3.

If the salvage yard has paperwork on what year/model the motor came out of.. try and get them to give you the VIN from that pickup, then take that VIN to your local Chevy dealer service department and they will be able to tell you exactly what motor it is.