1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

2001 Fuel Starved- Out of fuel with1/4 Tank

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by rhugg, Sep 9, 2013.

1. rhugg

rhugg New Member

Several times in the last year I have not been able to start my 2001 1500 Suburban when the tank is just under 1/4. I have never run it out of gas while driving. But the next morning it will not start. Add 1-2 gallons and it starts like normal. Have replaced gas filter.

2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Have you had the pump out of the tank yet to see if the pick-up on the pump hasnt been knocked off or is blocking fuel at low levels?.
    And your sure the fuel tank level/gauge is correct, right?

3. rhugg

rhugg New Member

Fuel gauge is correct per amount to fill tank from 1/4. I have not had the fuel pump out. Is that the next step? Should I replace it while I am there? How big a job is it?

4. tbplus10

More of a pain in the butt.
    If you know how much fuel you have in the tank then yes that might be the next step.
    Make sure the tank is close to empty before starting tank removal.
    And if its an oem fuel pump it might be worth it to replace while your in there to stop from having to go back in anytime soon.

5. unsub

unsub Member 1 Year

Replacing the fuel pump is a must at or near 100k on the 2001. The previous owner of mine had the same fuel issues as you and had pump replaced at about 80k and problem solved.

6. rhugg

rhugg New Member

Mine is past due then at 160, 000 ;-)

Delco again? Anything else to do while the tank is out? A job where I want to take advantage of my neighbors lift?

7. tbplus10

Delco lasted 160,000 so that should speak for itself.
    Dont know what type enviroment you operate the truck in so this is just a recomendation.
    Look at tank straps and fasteners for corrosion.
    Rear fuel line for degradation.
    Maybe have sandpaper, wire brush, primer, and paint on hand to clean and cover.
    Look at any tank insulators on the straps or insulation above the tank.
    Worst case scenario for inside the tank is to maybe rinse and swish with clean fuel, should be a poly tank so I cant think of any interior issues.
    Verify availability of any connectors for fluid or electrical connections in case of unforseen problems.
    A lift will make it easy to access, like I posted before make sure the tank is empty or close to it.
    With a lift you'll probably need a helper if you dont have a long stand jack to take the load of the tank while unbolting, not heavy when empty just bulky.
    Also make sure you have a few gallons of fuel on hand to put back in the tank after bolting back up.
    Good time to check the tank vents and fill pipe too.