1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2001 GMC Sierra Engine Idles rough then dies

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by hoosierfarmer21, Oct 3, 2013.

1. hoosierfarmer21

hoosierfarmer21 New Member

We didn't get the pump ground hooked up properly after we disconnected the ground for the tank filler neck. Cleaned up the frame and the connector and has ran fine since, knock on wood.

What makes the AC Delco pump so much better than an Airtex? Both had a one year warranty. I probably would have bought the AC Delco if they would have had it but wanted to get the truck running. Guess if the Airtex craps out we can get the bed off pretty fast and we put anti-seize on the bed bolts so we can get the bed off in 15 minutes.
  2. j cat

j cat Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

so the pump ground was bad at the frame rail. this is common problem. not good for the pump running on low voltage with a bad return/ground connection.

The reason airtex pumps are bad is the reports received on failures which occur 3-6 months after install..many on the forums have reported this Issue. not easy job and a PITA when this part fails.

ac delco or delphi have been reported to work good.

so what fuel pressures do you get now ? good luck ..
  3. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

Airtex may have a higher rate of failure but I have had issues with AC Delco too (I know everything can fail or be faulty so not claiming one is better). Had my fuel pump die, had it replaced with another AC Delco and it lasted 1 month to the day, had it replaced again and working ever since (few years now). [MENTION=63532]hoosierfarmer21[/MENTION] I hope everything works with it from here on out.
  4. j cat

it is true that even an ac delco product can be defective with the way quality is in todays world.

however your the 2nd member that had this early failure that I know of.. on airtex that is an amount that is huge !
  5. hoosierfarmer21

hoosierfarmer21 New Member

Ever since we got the pump ground hooked up properly the truck has ran fine, knock on wood. Had fuel pressure of around 50 psi. I have drove it about 150 miles so far. If the Airtex pump craps out on me some time I'll be sure to update the thread. Thanks for the help and advice. Wish I would have discovered this forum when I still had my 95 Sierra.
  6. j cat

the fuel pressure need be 53 psi or more engine on. with a new pump I would expect 56-57 psi.

key on engine off the pressure should be 60-65 psi.

if the gauge is accurate 50 psi will cause the engine to run but your on the edge.. good luck.