1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2001 k2500 tranfer case not shifting

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by raddad1257, Jan 24, 2009.

1. raddad1257

raddad1257 New Member

My brother-in-law has a 2001 k2500 with 8.1 liter engine. His problem is when he tries to engage into 4x4 the tranfer case doesn't engage. If I recall correctly I believe the lights respond on the dash. We really appreciate any advice.
  2. Springthing

Springthing Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Not too much help, I guess. There are only a few things it could be, really. I've, yet again, encountered this problem myself so I'll review all the advice that's been given on here already and will report back!
  3. Springthing

Do a search in the Powertrain forum for "actuator". Seems to be enough of a common problem..!
  4. 95CTburb19

95CTburb19 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Is it the power 4x4 or the manual one on the floor? Did he try putting it in 4wheel (in neutral) and then backing up a little ways? Sometimes that helps things work down there.:neutral:
  5. Springthing

My issues was tested and it's found it's the actuator. Seen that the cold weather can make it act like a red-headed step child... so I took a heat pack (48hr hand warmer)... stuck it on the actual actuator and left it for about an hour... then went in the truck (after trying to get it back into 2H for a few hours prior) and it actually went into 2H as it should.

So I figure my problem is the actuator that needs replaced.

I read about the manual ones and am thinking about it - kind of like the push button so I just don't know what I'll do...

But at least I got it narrowed down to what it SHOULD be!

:)
  6. Springthing

btw... it's the push-button one!
  7. raddad1257

raddad1257 New Member

Thanks Sarge. Appreciate the effort. I'll give him a call to let him know what you said. It was really cold when he was having his issues. Raddad