2001 Rear Differential Slippage

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by pmf608, Apr 7, 2009.

1. pmf608

pmf608 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I have the Limited-Slip differential on my 2001 Silverado 1500 2WD. I noticed while parking it on a bit of ice on my driveway something that has happened before. It slid backward about 3 feet. My right wheel was on ice and the tire couldnt grip on the slope, but my left wheel was on dry pavement. When I had the truck where I want it and put it in park, the right wheel locked on the ice, and the left wheel just rolled, making my truck be about 3 feet back from where it was, only because it hit a dry spot on the right. Does anyone know if there's anything I can do to stop this from happening - like why the limited slip didn't grab the left wheel at all. This could be a problem if I am parked on partial ice anywhere other than my driveway.

Thanks

2. azdrtdog

azdrtdog Epic Member 5+ Years 100 Posts

If thats one of them gov lock syntrifical force GM limited stick carriers my advive would be to tie a rope on it and use it to hold the boat still while your fishing. Dont get me wrong love my chevy till the day they bury me in it but them lockers suck and only grab then brake after the free axle gets enough turns or speed on it. and rolling back will take SEVERAL feet to engage if at all. Good news is that its working factory perfect from the sounds of it

3. CarpenterGuy

CarpenterGuy Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

I would have to dissagree with your statement about the slow reaction time with the lockers. mine locks up real fast.

4. 95CTburb19

95CTburb19 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

x2 On my burb with 190k it would still lock up right away.

5. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I don't know how fast it was rolling backwards, but the speed differential between the wheels has to be 100 RPM or so before the G80 locks up. Gut feel is that, rolling backwards like that in P, you didn't get enough speed difference between the wheels for the G80 to lock up.

My advice would be to use the parking brake in those conditions, which will hold both wheels.

6. pmf608

pmf608 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Last time I used the parking brake, I had to unseize it with a chisel. :lol:
    The truck was 7 years old when I bought it from my stepdad and he had never used the park brake once. I have to have it serviced before I can do that. In the meantime the ice is going away, so it wont cause any accidents this year. I just wanted to know if there is anything I could do that would make the power/transmission distribution equal left to right that the left wheel wouldn't roll when the right is stopped.

7. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I hate it when my parking brake seizes up. Like a lot of mechanical things, it needs to be used often enough to keep it working.

As for the question at hand. Install a more traditional locker that is "normally locked"? Of course, that's more expensive than repairing/maintaining/using the parking brake.

Was the ice "patchy" enough that it would have held if you had locked it in 4H before shutting off? That would let the front wheels help hold it in place.

8. azdrtdog

azdrtdog Epic Member 5+ Years 100 Posts

x2 with MR shorty i also thought parking brake but had already posted. and anyone famillair with lockers knows a tire spinning under power will lock fast while a car sliding or being dragged slowly with hardly ever engage a locker