1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2001 Silverado 2500HD Needs Lower Ball joints, which do I use?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by jlord9485, Sep 28, 2011.

1. jlord9485

jlord9485 New Member

My question is for all of you guys with 2500HD or bigger, who makes the best lower ball joints? Mine arent completely gone yet, but there is a little play and I snow plow with my 2001 so I want to replace them before winter. Also, I need to replace idler arm and pitman arms, should I just do the whole front end, meaning, tie rods and all when I replace the ball joints? If this is the case, who makes the best aftermarket heavy duty suspension and steering components? Also anyone know a good cheap and honest shop to do some of the work near chicago? Thanks everyone for your help!!!
  2. dsfloyd

dsfloyd New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

The front end suspension work isnt too bad to do. MOOG makes good heavy duty stuff and NAPA's is real quality heavy duty. Napa usually has 2 lines that they make for each suspension part though, master ride is the cheap one (MRC is before number). Their expensive stuff is their heavy duty line (NCP before number). as an example the MRC upper ball joint is $35 and the NCP ball joint is $67, but worth it in the HD's. If the other stearing components are worn do them too, I recommend NAPA or MOOG for those as well.
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  3. dedmon27

dedmon27 New Member 100 Posts

I agree with floyd moog makes good aftermarket parts. Summit carries moog products as well. What every brand you buy make sure they have grease fittings, and they get greased every oil change.