1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2001 Silverado 4x4 Not Engaging

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by tfusc1, Nov 20, 2012.

1. tfusc1

tfusc1 New Member

I just picked up a 01 Silverado 1500 for some light plowing. It's a 4.8L with a NV3500. When I test drove it, all was great. I put it in 4wd and reversed quickly and 4wd was working. It just gripped and i could see in the dirt that all four tires were engaged. So I brought it home and installed my plow. I was out back getting some railroad ties for weight in the rear when I went to put it in 4wd and it wouldn't engage. The 4WD light on the upper left side of the dash comes on... not sure what that means.

I did some little tests to try to narrow it down, but it was getting dark so I could't do much more. First I parked it on flat ground and when in neutral and 4HI, I tried turning the front driveshaft by hand. It only spins a tiny amount due to slop in the chain... it seemed like a normal amount. I could see the rear driveshaft moving too, so the transfer case seems to be working alright. In neutral and 2WD, the front driveshaft spins freely.

So now i figure the only thing it could be is the hubs not engaging. So i removed the actuator from the axle housing. I plugged it into the wire harness and left it dangling. I turned the key on and put it in 4WD and the actuator shaft came out a little more than an inch. I took a long screw driver and put it in where the actuator goes and pushed whatever is in there in. At the same time, I spun the front driveshaft by hand and could see/feel the front half shafts trying to move. So it seems like everything inside the front axle is also good.

The only thing i could think of is that the actuator is on its way out and doesn't have the strength to push the hub locking mechanism. I do have a 2002 Silverado 1500 that i think i'm going to pull the actuator off and see if it fixes it. Is there anything else I should try??
  2. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 1000 Posts

I think you are on the right track. I don't know about your truck, but the Trailblazer/Envoy trucks have the same problem. When mine failed, I took it apart, washed out the old grease and replaced the grease. It worked fine after that.