Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

2001 Silverado Front Shock Replacement

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by punintended, Oct 17, 2007.

1. punintended

punintended New Member

I own a bone-stock 2WD Silverado 1500 extended cab (two little half doors, right?). I was given the truck (for which I am thankful). This means I know little about it. I know the shocks are shot, and started into replacement with a set of Rancho RS5000's from Sam's 4x4 Store (http://www.sams4x4store.com/index.html, dirt cheap). Got the first shock off the front, no problem, went to replace it, noticed the pin in the original shock used to mount it to the lower suspension. The replacement doesn't have the pin - no obvious way to attach it to the suspension. Do I have the wrong shock?

Rears were a breeze - with the truck on the ground.

2. ChevyFan

ChevyFan November Beard Grower - Cancer Fighter Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I'm having a hard time visualizing this. Can you take a photo and post it up here on the Photo Gallery?

3. punintended

punintended New Member

Obviously, part of my problem is vocabulary. I was able to swing under the truck this morning, before leaving for work. I placed photos of the shock and the replacement (the carton for) at here. There's 2 bolts that go through the flat side of the pin, into the lower A-arm (I think I have this right).

Interestingly, in this shot from a 1994 Silverado (7 years older than my truck) you can see the same "pin" in the lower end of the shock.
    Look at the bottom end of the shock, in the tech's hand - note the "pin".

Thanks!

Josh

Last edited: Oct 17, 2007
  4. punintended

punintended New Member

…and the answer is, wrong part. I spoke with Rancho - I apparently needed the shock with a crosspin - RS5263, and was shipped the RS5283. Sam's is making it all good - even my return shipping is free. Nice guys!