2001" Silverado......Weird Noise

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by GiddieUp, Mar 20, 2013.

Newest Photos

1. GiddieUp

GiddieUp New Member

Yea the shop told me to bring it back after 500 miles to make sure the bolts on the lift haven't come loose and they checked it and said they could not find out the nois
  2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

if the noise is that evident and the shop can't figure it out then I would be questioning the ability of said shop. Was it a detail and accessory shop?
  3. GiddieUp

GiddieUp New Member

4. GiddieUp

GiddieUp New Member

5. Pikey

does the noise go away when you put it in 4wd?

- - - Updated - - -

It sounds a lot like the sound that @reggiecab2000 had on his truck. Here is his post and video. http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/showthread.php/112531-need-help-asap!?highlight=reggiecab2000

Try listening to the video in the above link and see if it sounds like yours.
    It turned out to be his transmission.

- - - Updated - - -

I have compared your vid and his multiple times. Thru my computer speakers they sound pretty close in sound. Yours seems slightly higher pitched.
  6. GiddieUp

GiddieUp New Member

I don't know what it sounds like it 4wd. The truck didn't make this noise till I got the lift on I don't know if the drive shaft is not long enough or what

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know if the trans because it doesent slip or anything like that
  7. Pikey

His did not slip either. It was a damaged bearing inside causing the noise. Do they sound the same to you?
  8. GiddieUp

GiddieUp New Member

Somewhat but mine does not do it in reverse and his sounds like more of a clunking noise like sounds like something is hitting something else
  9. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Member 100 Posts

i had a needle bearing go bad, yet even with that noise you could hear on mine, my truck drove perfectly fine, but with that noise i did not want to risk damaging anything else.

how big of a lift did you get and how many miles do you have?

i would say to do what i did, lift up the rear wheels and spins them with a friend in the drivers seat and listen around for where its coming from
  10. GiddieUp

GiddieUp New Member

I got a 7 in lift with 315s and its got about 146k and I haha that's the problem I gotta buy a lift floor Jack to get the truck in the air and what would spinning the rear wheels do?