1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2001" Silverado......Weird Noise

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by GiddieUp, Mar 20, 2013.

1. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

7 inch lift and there was no drivetrain modification??? that seems awful risky....

it would allow you to spin the driveshaft and listen to see if the noise is coming from the transmission, or the rear end, or transfer case, or wherever... you cant spin the driveshaft with the wheels on the ground AND be under it
  2. GiddieUp

GiddieUp New Member

Well the lift came with a bracket so you didn't have to mod the drive shaft but the place that put it on said it could be the drive shaft because its not long enough
  3. reggiecab2000

well we need someone to chime in with more experience on lifts and drivetrain modification, but i thought at 6 inches you were supposed to lengthen the driveshaft, not sure though

I can tell you that even a three inch lift kicks the driveshaft back about 1.5-2 inches as you can see in my video
  4. GiddieUp

GiddieUp New Member

So pretty much the noise could possiblybe the front drive shaft
  5. reggiecab2000

anything is possible, BUT at 7 inches of lift I would definitely get on google and research the poop out of that right now

- - - Updated - - -

lets see if [MENTION=50075]SurrealOne[/MENTION] knows, i believe he has a 6" lift on his sierra
  6. GiddieUp

GiddieUp New Member

I talked to a guy that got the same lift asmine and he listened to the video and he said he had the same noise and I could be the exhaust hitting the cross member

- - - Updated - - -

I also emailed the company about that to see if it they had any problems
  7. Pikey

Pikey Active Member Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I had a 6" on my 95 and the drive shafts did not have to be modified at all. The exhaust did have to modified from where it came off of the driverside manifold and crossed over to connect near the passenger side. I wonder if the front drive shaft is rubbing your exhaust. What brand lift kit is it?
  8. GiddieUp

GiddieUp New Member

Well the lift said there was no need of cutting or manufacturing of the exhaust but the guy I talked to had to do it and he has the same yeat and its a McGaughys lift kit

- - - Updated - - -

My best guess would have to be the drive shaft not being long enough because it never made that noise before
  9. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

No grind/rattle, here. I've been quietly reading this thread and am baffled, too. I was waiting for a vid with sound...
  10. GiddieUp

GiddieUp New Member

I posted one with the noise