1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2001 Silverado Z-71 wont start

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by egt1, Oct 14, 2009.

1. egt1

egt1 New Member

HELP! :sign0144:

I have a 2001 Silverado Z-71. Several years ago my headlights started flickering and I found the trouble in a broken wire on the Multi Function Switch wiring harness where it plugs to the MFS. I repaired the broken wire and it's worked great until last week. The headlights went out again so again I looked at the MFS and found that the wire I repaired plus one more next to it were burned, slightly melting the wiring harness connector. Splicing new wires didn't work so I bought and installed a new MFS which came with a new wiring harness. Still no headlights and now I have no interior lights, no under hood light, no cargo light, the key remote wont work the door locks AND the truck wont start!:grrrrrr:

I have an MT2500 scan tool (Snapon brand) that will communicate with all vehicle functions except the Body Control Module. I think that I may need to reprogram the BCM or buy a new one. I retreived one DTS code, P1626 Vehicle Theft Deterent, so the truck is in lock down (turning off the injectors).:gasp:

Has anyone had this problem? My Chevy dealer is stumped (which is usual for them) and I don't want to tow my truck to them so they can keep it for a month a charge me $2000.:fighting0019:
  2. Eddie Z71

Eddie Z71 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Hi, and welcome to the site! I hope someone here can help you. I knew someone who had a 1999 Chevy Silverado Z71 that would not start, and he found in his owners manual how to reset a switch that shuts down the fuel system after a crash, but he was not in one. Something caused it to trip.So far he has not had anymore problems. (that I know of). Hope this helps. Good Luck.
  3. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Last edited: Oct 15, 2009