2001 suburban k1500 thermostat problem?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by japsmash2001, Feb 18, 2012.

1. japsmash2001

japsmash2001 Member

Our Suburban has always taken at least 15 minutes to reach operating temperature from about 45 to 50 Degrees F. At 5 to 10 degrees F it takes about the same amount of time, which I assumed was normal. Here is the problem. We we're leaving Big Bear Calif following a ski trip. The decent off the mountain takes about 45 minutes, coasting most of the time. At the bottom of the mountain I noticed that the engine cooled off to about 120 to 130 degrees. I pulled over and raised the hood and the air off the radiator was cool, no leaks present. The temp gauge was correct. I continued driving and the temperature went back to normal as I was loading the engine driving on flat terrain.

I changed the thermostat to the stock 185 degree model and checked the old one in a pan of water on the stove and it appears to be functioning perfectly. I thought that the old thermostat was not closing all the way, which would explain the cooling off problem, but that does not appear to be the case. The Suburban takes the same amount of time to warm up as it always did with the new thermostat. Based on this information, I assume that the Suburban will continue to over cool down a mountain decent with the new thermostat, which is not good. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks. Ken