1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2001 Suburban rear rotor question

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by rs6er, Oct 28, 2013.

1. rs6er

rs6er New Member

I recently ordered a Powerstop pad and rotor kit for my rear brakes and gave them to my mechanic to install. There were two kits available: one for trucks with rotors greater than 1" thick and one for trucks with rotors less than i" thick. I bought the latter kit. When I went to pick up the truck, the mechanic told me the pads were too small, and he had ordered and installed the correct ones from a local parts wholesaler. I asked him how the rotors were, and he said they fit fine. I am now concerned that I bought the wrong kit and that the rotors "fit" but are actually too narrow. What would be the downside of using these rotors? Should I get the correct ones and replace them? Could they possibly be the correct ones? The overall braking is much better than before I dropped the truck off.
  2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts

I checked out some auto parts sites. The thicker rotor comes in a 12.95" dia and thickness of 1.18" . The thinner is 12.80" dia and thickness of 0.79". I don't know of the thicker one would have fit due to the larger diameter. It is more than 1/8" difference in dia. BUT, your mechanic should have compared the old one with the new one and made sure that they are the same diameter. If he said that the pads were too small then I an thinking that you had the wrong rotors installed. That depends on what he means by "small". Were they not thick enough? or did not fit in the brackets? Again, he should have compared diameters and let you know if they were not the same. If they are not the same diameter and you are using the smaller one you risk warping them quickly.
  3. rs6er

rs6er New Member

He didn't say the rotors were too small. He said the pads were- which they were. I'm not sure he would have noticed the difference in rotor diameter. Since the rotors were worn, he probably would not have noticed the thickness issue. I am going by to pick up the old rotors, which, by the way, probably had about .15" of rust on the edges :)
  4. Pikey

Even with worn rotors I think that you would notice the difference between 1.18" thick and .79" thick. Were the pads not thick enough?? If so, then I would think that a thicker rotor would have been needed to use the pads that you wanted.
  5. rs6er

rs6er New Member

So it appears that the rotors are indeed smaller than those that came off the truck. My question is this: Since the rotors are now slightly used and the original packaging is gone, could I just leave them on the truck and accept that they will have to be replaced prematurely or would it be a big mistake to do this? The swept area is not that much smaller; the thickness yes. Wouldd they just warp?
  6. Pikey

I know on my truck that the pads are pretty darn close to the edge of the rotors. I would think that if the rotors are smaller the pads would be riding on the edge. Less material means that they are going to heat up faster. If it were my truck I would buy the correct setup and then try to sell the wrong set on ebay or caigslist. If the mechanic laid the old and new rotor back to back the difference in diameter should have been pretty obvious! I always do this when installing new rotors on anything. You never know, the parts store could have given you the incorrect part, I have seen parts in mis-labeled boxes, or in your case there is more than one part available. On my 02 I made 2 trips back to the store. On the second trip I bought every option they had for rotors for the truck. When I got home I found the correct set and then returned the rest of them. It seems like rear rotors are always the hardest to get correct.
  7. rs6er

rs6er New Member

I looked at the rotors on the truck. They do seem way too thin. The fault is mine. I ordered the wrong parts. I am going to get the correct rotors and try to sell the others. I am being allowed to return the pads that were part of the set. Sometimes trying to save money costs you in the end. At least, I will change the rotors myself. In the mechanics defense, he was also doing repairs to the hubs and parking brake system. The clips were rusted into the calipers and one of the guide pins was frozen. It took way longer than he expected. Thanks for the advice.