1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2001 Suburban third seat can be easily removed and reinstalled?

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by bazar01, Sep 4, 2012.

Random Gallery Photos

1. bazar01

bazar01 New Member 100 Posts

With kids all grown, two married and one in college away from home, I do not see any need for the third row seat. The second row captains can be folded down to flaten out and I know the 3rd row seat can be folded up, but I want to gain more room in the back when needed. Is there a trick to remove and reinstall? Thanks.
  2. Curky

Curky New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Well my mother has a full size Chevy van and I have taken all the seats out for her just by taking the bolts out with a ratchet. If you are looking for another way, I can’t help, sorry
  3. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

No tricks! There should be numbers on the levers to tell you what order to do it in. First fold it down, then lift the lever on the back, on the bottom, in the middle of the seat. This will allow you to flip if forward. My 05 has a strap just to the right of the second handle you lifted up on, you will see it after you flip it forward. Mine has a number 3 on it. You need to pull that while you pull the seat on an angle towards you. That strap releases the front clips that hold the seat to the frame.
  4. bazar01

I do not see any quick release levers for completely taking out the 3rd seat but I can fold it up and increase the storage but that is it. I may need to unbolt the seat just like waht you did on your mom's van. Thanks.
  5. Pikey

When you say "folded up" what exactly do you mean? Like holds in half and then flips forward? If so then you should not need any tools to remove the seat.
  6. Curky

Curky New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

[MENTION=51590]Pikey[/MENTION] he might just have a dif. year or modale. It should only be 4 bolt. Might be rough the first time to break the threads losse after that it is in and out. . By time you read this you could be done already, lol :rofl: Good luck
  7. Pikey

He could. All the 2000 later 3rd rows that I have seen have been as I described. I am interested in how he ends up getting the thing out now!
  8. bazar01

Ok, I am not being clear.

The 3rd row bench seat back folds down and lays flat by lifting the center lever behind the seat. Then with the seat back laying flat, you can lift another lever located on the right side and be able to lift the back end of the seat bottom and the seat pivots on the front hinged supports and fold the seat up gaining more rear storage space.

That is not what I want to do. I wanted to take the whole seat out and it looks like I have to unbolt the front hinged supports on each side of the seat. I cannot see the connection points right now but I was thinking there must be a way to just unhook it from the hinged supports or I may need to lift the carpet up a little and take a look if they are bolted to the floor or not.

- - - Updated - - -

sorry guys, can't do it now. maybe this weekend. haha.
  9. Pikey

So, I did a little research there seems to have been 2 different mounting systems for the 3rd row seats. If you fast forward this video to 14:45 they show how to remove the front on one style.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9t-Rdguy6KM

The style I have you have to pull the strap to release the front latch and pull toward you. IMG_0370.jpg
  10. bazar01

Thanks Pikey for the video and pic.

Mine has a different latch system. My 3rd row bench seat is one whole wide piece from side panel to side panel. I have 2nd row captain chairs. There is a space in beetween captain chairs to get to the 3rd row bench seat. I will investigate this weekend and post an update.