1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2001 Suburban Z71 rear diff locked up

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by bazar01, May 7, 2012.

1. bazar01

bazar01 Member

A friend asked me to look at his 2001 suburban, Z71 with 250k miles that just violently stopped in the middle of the road while doing 35mph on a city street. He had it towed to his home and is now sitting in his driveway.

I am planning on looking at it this weekend. He is not sure which one is locked up. He thinks it could be the rear end.

Any suggestions what to check first?
  2. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 New Member 1000 Posts

I would pull the diff covers and check the condition of the fluid and check for metal shavings. Or you could jack up the truck and put on jack stands and check to see if the tires rotate.
  3. bazar01

bazar01 Member

Thanks Aloxdaddy.

I only have the small 3-ton jackstands. Will they be safe enough to hold the suburban and creep under the it?

Do I have to put the transmission in neutral?
  4. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 Active Member 1000 Posts

3 ton jack stands should be fine. I think thats what I have.
  5. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Check the rear brakes before you open up the diff, not unheard of for a set of shoes to break loose and cause this type issue.
  6. bazar01

bazar01 Member

thanks. I'll check that out too.
  7. bazar01

bazar01 Member

I put the rear on jack stands and checked the diff today. Nothing unusual or broken. Drained the fluid first and there was no metal shavings, then removed the cover and inspected the ring and pinion while the transmssion in neutral while spinning the wheel. The ring and pinion gears were fine and i did not see any broken teeth.

I may have to inspect the rear parking brakes first before i go to the front diff.

It locked up while driving in 2H. If the rear diff is fine, what else could cause the truck to stop like something locked up? In 2H, the front diff spins together with the front drive shaft, right? Could it be the transfer case?

We are lost.
  8. KidHauler

KidHauler New Member

How is the tranny acting? Our '02 had a "safe mode" issue a couple of years ago, where it only ran is 2nd or 3rd, I think. If the tranny locked up, that'll stop everything attached to it.

Good luck,
  9. giorge

giorge New Member

I had a problem a few years ago, it seems that my brake fluid had water in it and when the calipers would get hot the water would expand from the heat and apply the breaks. after it would cool down the breaks seemed just fine. After flushing the break system with new fluid the problem went away.
  10. bazar01

bazar01 Member

Thanks, the thing is, I ran the engine while the rear was on jack stands, then I put it in drive, the rear wheels turn and did not lock up. I reved the engine to 2k rpm and the wheels spun faster and did not lock up. I also applied the brakes and did not lock up anything.

Today, I will check first the parking brakes for any broken parts that could lock up the wheels, then raise the front on jack stands and check the front diff.

---------- Post added at 07:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:03 AM ----------

Thanks, i think I will flush the brake system too as it has never been flushed.