1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2001 Suburbn rear brake pad replacement

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by bazar01, Mar 18, 2013.

1. bazar01

bazar01 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

I already finished the front pads. The front caliper is held by 2 torx bolts and guide pin as one assembly to the bracket. Once the guide pins were out, the caliper pulled out really easy,

I am having a problem removing the rear caliper to bracket 12mm hex heads. The guide pins are held by 12mm hex head instead of torx head and the hex head bolt just keeps spinning and not unscrewing. It's not the same guide pin design as the front.

Any tip how to get the rear caliper off?

- - - Updated - - -

I figured out. There are two separate pieces to the rear caliper guide pin not like the one piece in the front caliper. I had to hold the inner guide pin with a small thin wrench while loosening the 12mm hex head bolt. The inner guide pin has a flat spot for an open wrench.
  2. unsub

unsub Member 1 Year

Glad you found out the fix. I just did my brakes all the way around and it took me a bit to figure out the rears. but trying to install the new split back covers and parking brake hardware was much more of a task.