2001 Tahoe fuel cost normal or not, here the question below

Discussion in 'Chevy Tahoe Forum (GMC Yukon, Cadillac Escalade)' started by Enrouk, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Enrouk

Enrouk New Member

ok, i got my tahoe for 6 month now and i like it, but i want to see if is normal or not, in town stop and go at normal user, for 100 miles i put 30 liters in it at 1,37$ per litter for a total of 40.00$ canadian device

in higway average speed (69 miles per hours in cruise mode) 250 miles i put 73 liters at 1.37$ per liter for a total of 100$ canadian money.

to you think is normal, or the like to drink gas a litle to mutch,

the engine is a 5.3L ans i drive alway at 2x4 mode,

do you have some trick or thing to check out for this or a know problem...

thanks guys

2. 07XCSB

07XCSB Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

It sounds like you are getting 12.5 miles a gal or 20 KM per 3.78 liters. Which is ok for the city, but not so good for the hwy.

How many miles or KMs on your tahoe?

3. Enrouk

Enrouk New Member

I have 211,000 Km or 131,000 miles on it

4. 07XCSB

07XCSB Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

It might need a tune up (Fresh spark plugs and a good air filter). 12.5 MPG is pretty low on the hwy.

5. Enrouk

Enrouk New Member

when i buy the truck the old owner said they change them 2 or 3 years ago, but dont remember when exactly and how many Km since... so i will make a check and put a new air fliter on it.... do you think a new fuel flitrer can be good to... thanks for your advise.

6. Enrouk

Enrouk New Member

i remove de spark plug today to discover they are in great shape actualy, and the air filter its almost new. but, i put a new air filter, its sheap, but the spark plug coste aloms 18$ eatch.... i tune de cap at 0.40 like the gm dealer told me to do,... do you want to see a picture of one of them....

7. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

8. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I get about 18 mpg with my Yukon Xl on the freeway, but that is driving 67mph (107.82 kmh). If I drive live an old lady I get around 15 mpg in the city. If I drive it hard I get just over 13 mpg. How do you drive? Slow accelerations and light braking make a major difference in fuel economy. I try not to stop at red lights. I slow down early and continue rolling to the light. It takes alot of power to break the static friction when you stop. You can experiment with this by hooking a fish scale to a toy car, put a small weight on the car. Slowly pull the scale and watch it as you get the car to move. You will notice that the force to start the car rolling will be high, then when the car starts moving the force on the scale lowers significantly. It took a lot of adjustment over the last few months for me to get better fuel economy. I sometimes find myself driving like I used to, I can look down and watch my economy decrease quickly. Try driving conservatively for the next week and see if you economy increases. My rule of thumb is, If the car behind me is not getting pissed off about my slow acceleration from a red light then I am driving too fast.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  9. Enrouk

Enrouk New Member

a litle fix

i remove the master flow and i found they are a lot of dust int the grill, i clean it, and do a combustion chamber cleanup, and an intake cleanup, the result, as been see right after, i increse my fuel economy, by 50% now, its a big step foward,....

10. AA1PR

AA1PR Rockstar

besides having your engine properly tuned the gears are designed for maximum fuel effiency/mpg aroudn 55 mph