2001 Tahoe Heated Mirrors

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by bartlex, Sep 18, 2009.

1. bartlex

bartlex New Member

Found this morning that my heated mirrors (both) are not working on my 2001 Tahoe. The rear defroster is working fine. The HTD MIR fuse is fine.

I saw posts about possibly needing to replace the mirror glass. Seems strange that both my mirrors would go at the same time but I haven't used the heating function for a while so...

Anyway, are there detailed instructions on how to test the mirrors in some way to see what the problem is (before I go trying new glass).

Also, if it does turn out to be the glass are there instructions somewhere on how to do the replacement? (Just want to know what I might be getting in to)

Thanks in advance.

2. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I would look into what kind of heated mirrors you have. During the years of the first editions of the Escalade and Yukon Denali they had there own special heated mirrors but some of them made there way onto suburbans like mine. Mine is a 99 but instead of electric mirrors they are heated by a fluid and they arent cheap, 600 from the factory and thats the only place you can by the fluid heated mirrors. I dont know if they continued on with them after the redesign in 01 for the GM triplets. You can however take the VIN number to a body shop, thats how they figured out mine anyway. They would give you a better answer then the dealership anyway, as the dealer will say you cant replace them but the auto body will give you the truth

3. bartlex

bartlex New Member

I've found heated replacement mirrors online for reasonable prices. I'd like to know if there is a way to troubleshoot what I have first to see if indeed its the mirrors that need to be replaced or if the problem is elsewhere.

4. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

As far as running down the probelm I guess you would need to start with a voltmeter, and unless the design has changed from my style you cant just replace the glass, you just unbolt two or three nuts from the inside fo the door and it pops right out, I was told that on my styl eyou could just replace the galss but one I got it off and saw how everything was put together I dont see any way how, unless you glass actually just fell off the entire housing.

5. bartlex

bartlex New Member

I was able gain access to the wires that plug into the mirror without removing the mirror. The plug was on behind the panel where the 3 bolts to remove the mirror are.

Anyway, I was able to read voltage on both mirrors when the rear defroster switch is on. No voltage when the switch is off.

So, I'm guessing at this point new mirrors are in order.

Anyone know if these are any good?: http://www.1aauto.com/1A/Mirrors/Chevrolet/Tahoe/1AMRP00122/327259/2001

Other recommended replacement mirrors?