1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2001 VSS wearing out in minutes

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by mrrustication, Aug 24, 2011.

1. mrrustication

mrrustication New Member

To everyone reading this thanks for your time. I have a 2001 silverado Z-71 and recently stumbled upon a huge problem. Occasionaly on the interstate my speedometer cut out and the truck downshifted, speedometer would kick back on rather quickly and transmission would re adjust. This happened 2 or 3 times. Less then a week later the speedo began to cut in and out and the transmission would shift according the speedometers reading. After some quick help from google i determined it was the vss(s). I replaced the 2 on the rear of the transfer case and the one on the front as well. The two rear ones had a groove worn into them. Within the first few minutes of my testdrive the same problem began to occur again. I nursed the truck back home, pulled the sensors and the new ones (2 rear) already had the same "groove" worn into them. Any suggestions greatly appreciated, it looks to me like something in the transfer case which is beyond my mechanical ability.
  2. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

it sounds like the tone ring that drives the VSS is loose or somehow out of tolerance and allowed to contact the vss. Time to start pulling stuff apart and find out why you're having physical contact in a place where there's not supposed to be any contact.
  3. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Welcome to the club. X2 what Crawdaddy said.
  4. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

To clarify, the tone ring should not touch the VSS, but it should be VERY close to it. I don't know the spacing off-hand, but it's less than 1/4".