1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

2001 Yukon XL 5.3 dies after 10-40m, no spark

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by edeslaur, May 6, 2012.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. edeslaur

edeslaur New Member

Hey ya'll

178K, 4x4, 5.3L

Late last week, left SWMBO stranded in town when it died. Started when the tow truck driver got there, decided a tow was prudent anyways. Good call... Started yesterday, ran for about 20m before dying

This morning, hooked up fuel pressure gauge, 55psi even after it died (appx 30m), but no spark.

Checking the crank sensor now (starter coming out).

Any other suggestions while I dig into this? SWMBO has promised me a hella dinner if I can get it running by then. :) Are '01's required to go through the crank relearn procedures I was reading about (I have a ScanGauge II, don't think it does crank relearn).

2. ejohnson03

ejohnson03 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I had similiar issues with mine, and it turned out to be the Distributer.

Replaced it and all was good...

3. edeslaur

edeslaur New Member

No distributor on this one.

After the new crank sensor, it idled in th driveway for more than 2 hours, where before it would have died after 20-30m

We'll see...

---------- Post added at 06:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:31 AM ----------

Oh,'and dinner was yummy.

4. 08_rado_rocker

08_rado_rocker Member 2 Years 500 Posts

LOL.. glad dinner was yummy, even moreso that you got 'er runnin again.

5. edeslaur

edeslaur New Member

Yeah it was. :) easiest crank sensor replacement ever. Didnt test the old one as dont have the right probe ends (pierce AND grip), plus didnt pull the starter all the way out, since i didnt have to.

Edumacated guess seems to be paying off. No codes before or after, so i didnt make it worse. ;)

6. 08_rado_rocker

08_rado_rocker Member 2 Years 500 Posts

haha, that's always a good spot to be in! We call what you did SWAG around here.. Scientific Wild Ass Guess hahahaha!!