1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2001 yukon xl rearend noise, will not move

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Haronbluejeans, May 9, 2013.

1. Haronbluejeans

Haronbluejeans New Member

I have a 01 yukon xl when i put the truck in gear it makes this loud sledgehammer noise in the rear driver side tire it vibrates hard cant move the truck. Was told by my uncle it could be my rear end..please help
  2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

First thing to check would be the brakes, pull the wheel off and see if their locked up or maybe it threw the pad off the shoe and jammed something.
    If the brakes are ok then you probably want to lift the rear end up and drop the differential cover and take a look inside to see if any gears are chewed up.
    It could also be the left wheel bearing, but I'd look at the other items first because the bearing doing this would be one of the last things I'd suspect, they normally squeel or grind, they dont lock up.
  3. Haronbluejeans

Thank you for the reply. Yes I checked the brakes they are not jammed I'm going to check the differential thanks again.
  4. donyms

donyms Active Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome to the club, it's great to have you aboard. I think tbplus10 nailed it except I would check the wheel bearing sooner because I had one lock up on me in New Orleans once and had my truck towed from there to here "about 90 miles". Follow what was posted above and you will find it. Good luck :great:
  5. Haronbluejeans

Will do thanks for welcoming me
  6. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Thread title changed and thread moved to proper sub-forum in hopes to get more responses***
  7. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome! :great:

Sorry you're having trouble. Any luck with what was suggested?