1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2002 2500 Straight axle swap

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by RAV52202, Jan 6, 2014.

1. RAV52202

RAV52202 Member 100 Posts

Has anyone done a straight axle swap on and 2002 2500? wondering how you went about it. Did you do axle with leaf springs or did you do it with coil springs.
    Did you use a GM axle and get a different transfer case to swap side for 4x4 or did you use a different type of axle? Just something i was thinking about doing. not sure how I want to go about it or if I'm just wasting my time. any thoughts and ideas would be great.
  2. RAV52202

Anyone out there have any thoughts or ideas?
  3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Ive converted over 30 trucks to solid axle.
    mostly Toyotas, but around 10 were chevies, never an 02 2500, I have done a 2000 2500, and a 2005 1500.
    Id search for a SAS kit that was pre made, attempting to make or source all the brackets and other odd parts required would drive you nuts.
    Depending on the kit you use normally theyll list axles compatable with that kit.
    For your truck Id recommend a Dana 60, 44 would fit but since its a 2500 the stouter axle would make more scence.
    Coil sprung 3,4 or more links are possible, much more work to ensure they articulate and handle properly. Leafs are slightly easier to do.
    Plan on spending $4000 to $8000 for all the parts depending on where yo get them and if they need rebuilding before use.
    Also plan on the truck being down for a month or two.
    If you dont have a welder, drill press, grinder, torch or plasma cutter put those tools on your shopping list.
  4. RAV52202

Great, Thank you for your reply and insight. I will check into the SAS kits. again thank you for the info.
  5. zuki82

zuki82 Member 1 Year 100 Posts

I can give you a link to a forum on chevy trackers, one of which I have, and some of the guys do that to them! It aint easy or cheap on a small buggy, I can just imagine how it would go on a full size truck! Besides, IFS rules!

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.zukikrawlers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18 Paw thru them there!
  6. RAV52202

Thanks for the link I will check it out. Yes IFS does rule but Im a big fan of straight axles and how they look on trucks.
  7. Scooter

Scooter Rockstar 100 Posts

I know there s a few out there that having been doing the straight axle swap using the Dana 80 off the f250 and custom 4link steering.... As far as specific details I don't know.
  8. RAV52202

I was kind of thinking about doing that. I wouldn't have to find a transfer case that puts the drive shaft on the other side then.