1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2002 Chevy Trailblazer Stuck in park

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Flywhip, Nov 10, 2008.

1. Flywhip

Flywhip New Member

2002 Trailblazer
    Drove it from san antonio to phoenix
    105000 miles on her

She has done me well since i got her a year ago but a month or so ago it started being dumb every so often, it will start fine but when i go to shift its stuck in park so i have to use the shift override gets kinda annoying any suggestions? I am pretty sure it has something to do with the brake electric system but i cant figure it out. Got my Chevy Parts Online too.
  2. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

2002 Trailblazer won't shift out of park

When you step on the brakes, you're supposed to hear a "click" ... that's the shift-brake-interlock, and it's designed to keep you from shifting out of park without pressing the brake. It's probably starting to fail, but this has happened to me before a few times and I got under the dash to make certain that everything was tight and it's been fine since.

Of course you can do the manual shift release, which there is always one in every vehicle I beleive, and in the Trailblazer that's on a flap on the steering column, but check your manual for the exact location.

I'd first look to get the 'A/T Shift Lock Control Solenoid' replaced for this, go to your local GM parts, chevy parts house and see what it will cost, I think it's fairly easy job to do yourself. You might also want to check the chevy brake light switch to make sure that's working well too.
  3. Flywhip

Flywhip New Member

thanks

I knew there was a solenoid but didnt think it was it since it doesnt happen all the time. Ill give her a try. thanks again!
  4. CoolAirVw

CoolAirVw New Member

Actually its much more common for the brake switch to fail than the solenoid. (probably at a ration of 9-1 in my shop)

Obviously it could be other things, like wiring or fuses, or strange brake light problems.

First thing to check is look to see if the brake lights are working.