1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2002, cranking but won't start

Discussion in 'Chevy Blazer Forum (GMC Jimmy)' started by 02trailblazer, Jul 26, 2009.

1. 02trailblazer

02trailblazer New Member

Hi all, I've got an 02 trailblazer that refuses to start. I was running the obd scanner on it and picked up a thermostat code. I figured it was old and from the previous owner, as everything was fine. I decided to clear the code and let the truck run for another 10 min. The code did not return, so I wanted to restart the truck and see if it would come back. I powered her down, and tried to restart it. To my dismay, it cranked but would not start. I can hear the fuel pump prime before I start, so I do not think it is that. I doubt that clearing a code would have done this.... But, what are your thoughts? Thanks in advance!
  2. tattooed4life

tattooed4life Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Maybe try unhooking the battery and letting it sit. Reconnect after 15mins or so and give it a try.
  3. 02trailblazer

02trailblazer New Member

Yeah, tried that already. I might do it again, but for overnight. Thanks though.
  4. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Just because the fuel pump is running doesn't mean it is generating enough pressure. 1st thing I'd do would be to put a fuel pressure gauge on it.

Are the spark plugs firing?

And, as obnoxious as it is, it seems that we get a lot of "no starts" that end up being security system issues. I'm not familiar with the security systems, but that another thing to look at.
  5. 02trailblazer

02trailblazer New Member

Well, I do not have the tools to see if it is the fuel pressure, or if it has spark. I would assume it has spark becasue it does halfway start. I am thinking it is the fuel pump, but I can't rule out it being security related like you said because, before it did this, the security light was always lit, with or without the doors being opened. Thanks for the input though.
  6. bill190

bill190 Rockstar 100 Posts

If you don't have tools, then take it to a mechanic for repair.
  7. 02trailblazer

02trailblazer New Member

I will be having it towed to a mechanic tomorrow. I think I have it narrowed down though, the security light flashes when I go to start it. So I think it is an alarm issue. My father thinks it is because I cleared the fault code, but I find that hard to believe.
  8. bill190

bill190 Rockstar 100 Posts

If you remember the code you got in your scanner or it may be in your scanner still, be sure to tell the mechanic what that code was.

Clearing the code or not, and this causing the problem or not would not matter. Something would need to be repaired anyway.