1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2002 GMC 2500 Tow/haul

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by RAV52202, Oct 4, 2012.

1. RAV52202

RAV52202 New Member

MY tow haul button doesnt seem to work on my 2002 GMC 2500. Any ideas why? The light does not come one and i dont feel any change. I have had other trucks like this so i do know what it should feel like. Any help would be great. Thanks
  2. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 1000 Posts

Probably the button switch. Easy test if I had the wiring diagrams, maybe someone will post 'em
  3. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Moderator Staff Member ROTM Winner Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

I'm going to say, what's most likely happened and which is a common problem, is the Wire that is inside the Tow Haul Button, that runs down the Shifter and then down the Steering Column, to its Base, has Overtime gotten Pinched and/or Frayed, and has Finally Broke.

Here's a Picture of where the Wire(Orange)is located, at the Base of the Steering Column,

[​IMG]

To fix it.....you located the Break in the Wire, and you can either, Crimp Splice or Solder it back together and you should be good to Go.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  4. RAV52202

RAV52202 New Member

Thank you guys for the help and quick response. I will check that out.
  5. j cat

j cat Active Member 1000 Posts

the wire to the tow/haul switch is very much too short. many have had this wire fail.