1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2002 silverado HD 6.0 engine clicking

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Gorganaut, May 29, 2011.

1. Gorganaut

Gorganaut New Member

Whats up guys, just got a new toy. 2002 silverado HD 6.0. Only 65k miles and garage kept. Its beautiful and its in mint condition in and out. Only thing is im getting a clicking sound coming from the engine, sounds like its coming from the bottom front of the engine. I literally just got this yesterday, and have not had the chance to see if it fades or stops as the engine is cold, warm, or at running temp. Sorry for the lil info, just trying to see if there is a widely known issue, my first silverado. Its not terribly loud but its not quiet either. Thank you for any feed back.

Gorg

---------- Post added at 09:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:52 AM ----------

Sorry its a 1500 to.
  2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Welcome to the club, Gorg. Is your truck 2wd or 4x4?
  3. Gorganaut

Gorganaut New Member

2wd

Thank you, and its a 2WD

Gorg
  4. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

There are Couple.....G.M. TSB.....Regarding......Clicking/Ticking and/or Piston Slap on the Silverado's,

Here is one those G.M. TSB.....that may or may not apply to the noise you are hearing coming from your Silverado,

File In Section: 06 - Engine/Propulsion System......Bulletin No.: 02-06-01-038
    Date: December, 2002

Subject:......Engine Knock or Lifter Noise (Replace 0-Ring)

Models:
    2001-2002 Chevrolet Camaro
    2001-2003 Chevrolet Corvette
    2001-2002 Pontiac Firebird
    2002-2003 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade EXT
    2000-2003 Chevrolet Suburban, Tahoe
    2001-2003 Chevrolet Silverado
    2002-2003 Chevrolet Avalanche
    2000-2003 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL
    2001-2003 GMC Sierra
    with 4.8L, 5.3L, 5.7L or 6.0L V8 Engine (VINs V, T, Z, G, S, N, U - RPOs LR4, LM7, L59, LS1, LS6, LQ9, LQ4)

Condition........Some customers may comment on an Engine Tick Noise. The distinguishing characteristic of this condition is that it likely will have been present since new, and is typically noticed within the first 161-322 km (100-200 mi). The noise may often be diagnosed as a collapsed lifter. Additionally, the noise may be present at cold start and appear to diminish and then return as the engine warms to operating temperature. This noise is different from other noises that may begin to occur at 3219-4828 km (2000-3000 mi).

Cause......The 0-ring seal between the oil pump screen and the oil pump may be cut, causing aeration of the oil.

Correction.......Inspect the 0-ring seal and replace as necessary. Use the applicable part number listed below. Refer to the Engine Mechanical sub-section of the appropriate Service Manual.
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  5. Gorganaut

Gorganaut New Member

thank you for the info, im gonna try checking that o-ring if switching to synthetic motor oil and adding some fuel injector cleaner doesnt work, I was informed both could possibly solve the problem. Just so happens im mechanicaly inclined so I am starting there and will try each solution i come across till I get it. Where can i find articles like the one you refrenced to?

Thank you for any feed back.

Gorg