2002 Silverado speed governor

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by gimmes95, Dec 15, 2008.

1. gimmes95

gimmes95 New Member

Does anyone know at what speed the governor kicks in for a 2002 silverado 1500?

Also, what exactly happens when this speed is reached?

2. cascott325

cascott325 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

your governor takes control of the throttle at about 95mph give or take 2 mph. i cant get technical, but it just minimizes the amount of fuel pumping into the engine momentarily until you reach a slower speed. once you hit that speed, you resume accelerating until you hit the gov. again.

3. Fun stuff

Fun stuff New Member

Good q

On my 03 lifted S10 it was at 97 and it would basiacally starve the engine(what it felt like) it would slow down a good bit right at 97 just for a second tho. My newer silverado 04. none i've had it to 110 and nothing i dont know if it was adjusted before i bought it or what but no stopping me. If you wanna find out just mash the gas.:lol: But alot of the programmers have controls for that sort of thing. Along with tire size. shift rpms, depending on which one ya get. Let us know what ya find out

4. gimmes95

gimmes95 New Member

Thanks for the replies.

Yeah, the reason I asked is because I did a little bit of a speed run today, and I felt the truck lose power at around 96/97.

I'm not really interested in removing the governor though. 97ish is plenty fast enough for me, haha.