1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2002 Suburban 17" Tire/Wheel Option

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by mikehd, Apr 11, 2007.

1. mikehd

mikehd New Member

Our '02 has the 265/70-16 aluminum wheels with worn out Firestone Wilderness LE tires. I'm thinking that since 17" were an option that would be a nice appearance upgrade and keep the 16" for dedicated snow tires.

However, I don't want to introduce speedometer and odometer error by going to the optional 265/70-17 wheel/tire combos.

How do the factory guys do this? is there some speedo electronic setting that is changed via a programmer? Or is it within the speedo error margin anyway?

According to the miata.net tire size calculator, the optional tire size would cause the speedo reading to be 3.3% too slow, or at indicated speed of 60 mph the actual speed is 62 mph.

Your thoughts?
  2. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Simple reprogram of the PCM. (Powertrain Control Module) Simple but not inexpensive. My buddy raised his 05 Silverado and went bigger on the tires. He shelled out $500 for a Hypertech to recal the PCM for the change. Silly me, I thought I could borrow it to fix the speedo on my 06, but you can only use it on one vehicle at a time. Since it is a work truck, I just put up with the 3mph difference on the speedo.
  3. DutchTBI

DutchTBI Rockstar

Go and look for 265/65/17 . They're almost the same in diameter as the stock tire, your tach doesn't have to be adjusted that way. 60 mls on the tach will be 59.9 so hardly noticable
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2007