1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2002 Suburban 4wd Driveshaft noise??? Away from home troubles!

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by jtf320, Mar 31, 2011.

1. jtf320

jtf320 New Member

Hello everyone,

I am away from home visiting a sick relative and I starting hearing a rattling metal noise under the truck. (93,000 miles) I checked the muffler and all was secure. The noise worsened so I went to a local muffler shop to find the issue. The noise only occurs when the vehicle is in motion. The mechanics said that the noise was from INSIDE the drive shaft. They said that I needed a shim kit and that there was an inch play in the rear differential. I have heard a slight whine from the rear pinion bearing for a while. Does this all make sense? They could not fix it and said the truck was find to drive home - 300 miles. What would the expense be to have this done.
  2. kburb

kburb Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

yea it does make sense and the diff could last for 10,000 miles or 10. i am not sure what the cost will be but expect 300 to 500 dollars as i do feel its more than just a shim kit.
  3. jtf320

jtf320 New Member

Thanks for the help.
  4. jtf320

jtf320 New Member

Got it fixed. Turned out to be a bad rear universal joint. Replaced front and rear and the ride is great.