2002 Tahoe Won't go into park

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by dave09, Oct 11, 2009.

1. dave09

dave09 New Member

Hi guys,
    I'm new to forum. I have a 2002 Tahoe, 95,000 mi, 5.3L Automatic. Drive into town yesterday on some errands. No problems putting into park or back into gear. I drove home and put in park and shut off - no problem. Later that afternnon, I started it up, moved it into the street, and put in park to shuffle positions with my other truck in the driveway. Got in it, put into gear, pulled into other side of driveway. When I went to put it in park, it would not go. Tried moving tilt steering, ran shifter through all gears, ran around block and back still won't shift into park and of course the key won't come out, Have check fuse @ BU LP and BTSI positions - they are fine. Any Ideas ?

2. dsrtne1

dsrtne1 Epic Member 5+ Years 100 Posts

Welcome to the site!
    :great:

Really not sure what your problem is. Sounds very strange. Hopefully someone here will be able to help you.

3. retired2001

retired2001 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Welcome to the site! I can't help either, but hopefully someone can chip in later. Good luck!

4. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Something came loose. It either the external or internal linkage. The first thing to check is the nut holding the shift linkage to the manual shaft on the transmission. If that's OK then take the linkage loose and see if it shifts into park. If it does then the problem is inside and you will have to pull the pan down to repair the problem.

5. GMPartsClub

GMPartsClub Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts GMTC Sponsor

6. ct9a

ct9a Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Welcome to the site!

7. Eddie Z71

Eddie Z71 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Welcome to the site!

8. canislupis69

canislupis69 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Welcome to the site!

9. dave09

dave09 New Member

Thanks Guys for the welcome - great site. As an update for all, I got the problem fixed. After pondering many hours in a repair manual and checking all over the net for a fix. Jimmiee was close. Did not want to taclke the tear down of the entire dash/sterring column area and mess with disarming the air bags etc. so took to local dealer. Ended up being a "Linear Shift Control Inner Spring Broken". They had to replace the entire shift control assembley because of one spring ! What rocket science engineering on the part of the G.M. engineering staff this is! It's unreal that something as simple as a spring that probaly cost two bucks or so, can't just be replaced by itself instead of an entire shifter assy.
    Anyway thanks a million for the responses !