2002 z71

Discussion in 'Chevy Avalanche Forum (Escalade EXT)' started by Avnewbie, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Avnewbie

Avnewbie New Member

Hello everyone, I'm new here and don't honestly know jack about avalanches. I however am looking at buying a 2002 z71. I don't know what I should be on the lookout for when I go check it out or what common issues are with them. One of the big things that worries me are the miles; it's sitting at around 210k but I've also been told not to let that bother me that the 5.3 is a good Motor. Any input is greatly appreciated

2. silverado002

silverado002 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

Welcome. The 2002 5.3L is a good motor but it may have the infamous piston slap noise like mine does. Not a problem as the noise goes away after about 15-20 seconds. I have over 175,000miles on it. You will also need to check to see if the intake gaskets were changed too as the OEM ones were a bad design and vacuum leak eventually. Check for deep rust on the rear brake backing plates and fuel lines. Also all fluid changes are important to good mechanical life. It would be nice if you could get a history of it.