1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2003 1500 Chevy Suburban

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by ptscho@flash.net, Dec 31, 2012.

1. ptscho@flash.net

ptscho@flash.net New Member

Looking for repair advice. Trying to replace rear shock absorbers. They are typical, normal shocks,... not air or other. When I remove the bottom bolt, there is a lot of built up pressure on the old shock. I cannot compress the shock to get it out. It's jammed itself into the bottom mounting bracket for the shock. Should I remove the top bolt 1st to remove the shock? I'm worried that when I do so, it will quickly decompress itself out of the top bracket and break something else when it does so,.... A/C tubing or other. Are there other steps/suggestions to remove the shock(s) when it is under pressure? Thanks.
  2. silverhobey

silverhobey Member

I have changed rear shocks before but didn't run into that problem.
    I had the axle/suspension hanging, so the shock was extended and not under
    pressure. Not sure what else I did, so hopefully someone else might have
    idea(s)....have you tried using a jack to shove the shock back up??

Brian from Canada
  3. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator 1000 Posts

When replacing any part of the suspension you have to make sure it is under 0 weight of the truck. Use a jack to raise the rear then support the frame with jack stands, make sure you brace the front tires so the truck wont roll. Do this and the shock will come right off because it will have no pressure.
  4. ptscho@flash.net

ptscho@flash.net New Member

Thanks to both of you. I tried supporting the frame under the back axle (with jack stands) and directly under the frame where the bottom of the shock connects to the frame. In both cases there should have been no weight on the shock (0-energy), and the shock still wanted to expand (decompress). Maybe I should try letting the back axle/suspension hang as Brian suggests. This way, the shock would not be able to expand any further.
  5. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I suggest putting your jack under your hitch in the rear and jacking up the body and frame, leaving the axle down. I had the same issue and that method worked. Are you sure that they are not the nivomat shocks? replacing the nivomat with a standard shock is dangerous. The coil spring rate is not correct for standard shocks. The previous owner of my 03 yukon xl did that and the rear was all over the place, especially towing. For my 05 yukon xl I have to change the rear coil springs out also. I would checkout shockwarehouse.com and look at the RPO codes for your truck to be sure.