2003 4wd Sierra front wheel noise

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by 20mercury, Jan 15, 2011.

1. 20mercury

20mercury New Member

I have a 2003 4wd Sierra auto Z71 with 116K miles which has front wheel noise.

*Tires are ok

*noise is loudest about 35 to 45mph, sounds like maybe you are running on rough pavement

*noise does not change in 2wheel drive, 4wH, 4wL, AWD or neutral (has automatic button 4wheel drive shift)

*changed both axles lube and transfer case lube, no change

I am thinking this is front bearings, CV joints? or front differential???

Thoughts?

And how do you differentiate to pinpoint the problem?

Much thanks for any ideas or suggestions.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2011
  2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Sounds to me like a typical GM wheel bearing. Now can you tell a side that it is coming from more so than the other? beacuse that will be the best way to tell that.

3. 20mercury

20mercury New Member

Thanks for the response. Few questions please:

Hard to tell side the noise is coming from. I hear it on the left front, but I am the driver, LOL! Maybe see tomorrow if the passenger can hear right front? Maybe see tomorrow too if left or right turn changes it (good suggestion, thanks.)

To demonstrate how dated I am, I am thinking you can not just replace the inner and out bearings like the old cars, but now you have to buy the whole hub assembly? correct?

And if you get the truck up on jacks, how can you make sure the wheel bearing is the problem and not something else?

And when replacing the wheel hub on a 4wd, I guess the additional work vrs a 2wd is unhooking the U joint? is this a big job?

Thanks again.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2011
  4. 20mercury

20mercury New Member

Replaced both front wheel bearing hubs and fixed problem.

Thanks for the help!