Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

2003 Blazer 4.3 Fuel mileage help

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by gs462, Oct 7, 2010.

1. gs462

gs462 New Member

I need to help this thing get better gas mileage, Do the throttle body spacers and cold air kits help at all? Any other suggestions?

Thanks
    Shawn

2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Welcome to the club, Shawn. Throttlebody spacers are a waste of money. CAI on some trucks help a LITTLE with mpg's. Driving habits work best for more mpg's.

3. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Welcome to the site!!!

4. gs462

gs462 New Member

Thanks Guys, I had my 2000 gmc z71 for 3 years and the wife has had the Blazer the same amount of time, Just found the Site tho. The Mrs. Started a new job where she drives ALOT and the Blazer is killing us in fuel. Guess its time to buy her a work car.

5. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Hey Shawn - Check out this link as it may provide you some ideas. There is also another thread on here that has a laundry list of things you can do to increase your MPGs, both with mods and other things such as correct tire pressure. I did a quick search and did not find, but I know it is there someplace. Just do some digging and I am sure you will find some impactful ideas.

http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sh...er-MPG-on-a-budget&highlight=increase mileage

6. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I have 2 S-10 blazers, what kind of milage are you talking about? and what are you looking to get? i get 22 at 65mph with my 97, and i get about 20 (just under) running my 2000 at 75. I have done a lot of maintenance to it recently and will be changing that milage number since i have seen a signifigant improvement with the 2000 but i havent burnt an entire tank yet.

7. gs462

gs462 New Member

She does mostly city driving and I doubt she gets 15 mpg.

8. Bigbomber

Bigbomber Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

Welcome to the site! and yes ,absolutley stay away from throttle body spacers,they are useless.

9. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Well if you look at the EPA numbers they arent that stellar in town to begin with. BUt when was the last time it got a tune up, and a fuel filter etc?? because with the 4.3L and all distributor style Vortecs that cap, and rotor wear out quickly to say the least. Also the Fuel filters in these trucks need to be changed basically when you do an air filter (10K miles or so is when i do mine) also a good seafoam treatment never hurts I do mine yearly. Running 5W30 oil is a little help (minimal but you see where i am going) also keep an eye on the Fuel pressure regulator in that truck they are SUPER common to fail, and like mine recently i didnt know it was bad except for a little bit of a hard start. Cleaning the MAF might not be to bad of an idea, make sure you use MAF cleaner and there are several threads here on the site with directions for that. Running a highway style tire will help a little as well, since Ats are heavier and if the truck isnt off road much then there really isnt much of a need for an agressive At tire anyhow. And a heavier tire means more rotational mass to get moving off the line from a stop light.

10. gs462

gs462 New Member

Thanks, what do you guys think of just a K N panel and I was thinking of changing the diffs to royal purple synthetic, if I do , do I need posi additive?