2003 Chevy S10 4wd Inop

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by Robinthehood, Dec 10, 2016.

1. Robinthehood

Robinthehood New Member

I recently repaired my 4wd. The passenger side gear that the 4wd collar slides over was damaged due to my wife driving on dry pavement in 4 hi. I replaced and put truck back together. Had only 3 wheel drive. I took it back apart and noticed I installed the collar backwards. Reinstalled the correct way put it all back together and it doesn't work at all now. Cable is good the Actuator is good and the front drive shaft locks. Any ideas? I was thinking maybe because I used some left over 80w140 gear oil its to thick to allow the gears and stuff to move. Any help is appreciated.

2. RayVoy

RayVoy Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

Because of the way differentials work, only one wheel in the front will have power connected to it.
    The rear is the same unless you have a posi, or locking rear diff.

3. Robinthehood

Robinthehood New Member

I understand that. When I orginally put it back together only the Driverside front tire spun. It was because The 4WD collar was installed backwards. I installed it the right way and now I have no 4wd at all

4. RayVoy

Ok, not sure you do understand.
    The best you are going to have is one of the two front wheels spinning.

If you had one front wheel spinning and you then reversed the collar and now neither of the front wheels spin, put the collar back to the way it was when you had one front wheel spinning.

5. Robinthehood

Robinthehood New Member

Thanks for your help man but your knowledge on this must not be to strong. The collar has one side where the teeth are straight cut and sharp. The other side is slightly rounded on the outsides. that allows it to slip onto the passenger side drive gear to activate front wheel. flipping it around again would be wrong. I have something else going on with it. I will tear it back apart its not hard at all and look again and see if something didnt go together properly. Thanks for understanding.

6. RayVoy

Ok, perhaps I'm not understanding the message in the first post.
    You lead me to believe you had it working, but only one front wheel would spin.
    You then typed that you thought that was not right and to fix it you took the hub apart and flipped the collar over.

So, what I'm suggesting, is that if you had it working, put it back the way it was.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what you typed.

So, you say the vacuum motor actuator is operating. If you jack up that corner, and your in 4x4 the wheel should turn the axle all the way to the diff. If the axle isn't turning the actuator isn't working

7. Robinthehood

Robinthehood New Member

So I found last night that everything inside the Diff is working. If I remove actuator cable and pull shift fork myself 4ed engages both front wheels. I reconnected the cable started truck and watched the actuator. Its not pulling the cable far enough to engage the 4wd collar. If I help it i locks in good to go. So my guess is either I maybe got some Rtv on the fork sleeve and its not sliding smoothly in the front diff and vacuum isn't strong enough to pull it. Or the fact its 12degrees here and I used 80w140 instead of the recommened 80w90 oil maybe the oil is to thick and not sliding easily enough for cable to pull. My main question now is could the thicker heavier oil I used cause the sleeve to not slide easily enough??

8. RayVoy

You might be on to something with the grease, but usually it's a vacuum problem. The hoses get old and leak, or the actuator gets hard and won't move enough, or the body leaks.

And the thing with vacuum, there is only one source and a leak anywhere is going to impact the complete system.

9. Robinthehood

Robinthehood New Member

Yeah I search for a vacuum leak I didnt find any loose connections or leaks. It was working fine before my wife chewed the gear up. It also worked when I had the gear collar in the wrong position just didn't engage passenger side. Im going to lean towards the fluid creating to much resistance. Im going to add the proper 80w90 to and see if that solves the problem. If not I guess Ill break it down again and see whats going on with the shift fork. I used a good amount of RTV silicone so maybe just maybe some got on the shaft and keeping it from sliding properly. Ill be a pro at tearing it apart in no time. I replaced the actuator last winter so it should be good. Its sucking in just about a half in or less not enough.

10. RayVoy

Good luck. I found a vacuum gauge to be a handy tool when I owned a S10. Even the HVAC uses vacuum actuators.

I recall having a vacuum leak on a hunting trip, miles in the woods, wouldn't stay in 4x4. I had to use a piece of rope to pull the shift fork into operate position and tied it there. Removed the rope when we got out.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016