1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2003 Chevy Suburban 4X4 5.3 L FLEX abs - loose steering column arm

Discussion in 'Chevy Tahoe Forum (GMC Yukon, Cadillac Escalade)' started by wdc1, Apr 3, 2014.

1. wdc1

wdc1 Member

My truck is fine except the steering column shifter arm is loose in park.Easily pulls back and forth in park. Stays in park and no problems shifting. Think there is a loose bolt and need to remove underside dash plate and steering column cover. Thoughts.

- - - Updated - - -

I opened up the steering column and there is a broken spring that allows the arm selector to bounce back. I have three part#s but with the GM schematics not sure which one. I think its the upper.

Steering Column Spring - 2003 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 (26055299) center

Steering Column Spring - 2003 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 (26065450) lower

steering Column Spring - 2003 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 (26034514) upper

See what you think.
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
  2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

it could be. But, without actually seeing the column apart it would be hard for me to tell
  3. wdc1

wdc1 Member

Found out the spring is part of a larger column part that would have to be purchased. I found a spring at Ace which is the same size but just needs to be cut. Will install it soon instead. Thanks
  4. wdc1

wdc1 Member

Installed and works fine so far. It's almost the same exact spring, except a little thinner metal. That said, I made it a little longer for strength. Springs were $5.00 compared to purchasing the whole module and installing it.