2003 Envoy no crank

Discussion in 'Chevy Trailblazer Forum (GMC Envoy)' started by Hannie, Mar 27, 2017.

1. Hannie

Hannie New Member

Hi everyone, New to the forum. I have a 2003 GMC Envoy, when I turn the key everything works in the vehicle, but I do not hear the fuel pump prime, and the engine will not crank. I do not even get a click from the starter solenoid. Does anyone know what might be the cause or have experience with this? I hand already replaced the ignition switch and starter relay. Any help would be much appreciated!

2. RayVoy

RayVoy Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Did you replace the ignition switch because of this problemm?

Does the transmmission Park iindicator seem to be ok, did you try it in Neutral??

3. Hannie

Hannie New Member

Yes, replaced this yesterday to try and remedy. Indicator seems fine, everything functions correctly like nothing is wrong. Do not get a security light illuminating either.

4. RayVoy

Ok, just making sure.....it sounds like an ignition switch problem.

Hang on, I've got a manual here somewhere

5. RayVoy

Ok, lets tackle the no crank first.

You changed the start relay, but is it operating?
    Try placing a finger on the case while someone operates the key; if it's operating, you will feel it with your finger.

Ok, no operation. Power comes from fuse #22 (underhood box), through the P/N switch to the relay.
    The ground is through the PC.M, I assume key in start position tells the PCM to ground the relay.
    The relay contacts provide battery to the solenoid (purple/pink wire), ground is the starter case to engine bolts.
    This should operate the solenoid and complete the battery path to the starter windings.

6. Hannie

Hannie New Member

Starter relay is operating, can feel it as well as an audible click. Screwdriver as a stethoscope on the fuel rail sounds like it is priming. New ignition switch is working. I'm assuming it is a starter solenoid stuck, as if it were a passlock issue a signal wouldn't be sent to the relay and pump, does this sound correct? Still need to crawl under and check for voltage at solenoid.

7. Hannie

Hannie New Member

I appreciate all your help!

8. RayVoy

If it was a security system problem, the light on the dash would be on. Also, the security system will let it crank, some times start and then stop. But, it will always let it crank.

Sounds like a starter problem.