2003 Envoy XL SLT 5.3L V8 Questions

Discussion in 'Chevy Trailblazer Forum (GMC Envoy)' started by cmurphy84, Dec 20, 2009.

1. cmurphy84

cmurphy84 New Member

I have a 2003 Envoy XL 5.3L V8 that has an annoying whistle at approximately 10% throttle and under. Is this a normal condition? I had checked around and already replaced the PCV valve as suggested by others, but that didn't solve the noise. It doesn't sound terrible, but is a little annoying.

Another thing I've noticed is that the truck doesn't seem to sit level side to side. I'll try to get out and measure to see which side is high/low. I heard there might be a Service Bulletin for the dealer to fix this. Any truth to that?

EDIT: They probably all have it, but ours is air ride in the rear.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2009
  2. BigRobSA

BigRobSA Member

Whistling: Have you made sure that there isn't a leak in the air intake piping? Or do you have a CAI on it already?

Level: The "GM Lean". Does the Envoy have bags in the back? If so, it's easy to adjust them yourself. Raising the one on the low side will usually help in that situation.

3. cmurphy84

cmurphy84 New Member

I do not have a cold air intake. I'll have to check for a leak.

It does have bags on the rear. How do I adjust the height on one?

4. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I have had a whistle on two of my past GM vehicles. My GP I always thought it was wind whistling through the door jam at higher speeds but once I took it to the Pontiac dealer they new exactly what it was. There is a double sided film they use when they adhere the weather stripping around the door, and that had lost its adhsivness and the edge was curling about 1/16th of an inch, the service manager came out and cut it off and the whistle and headaches were gone, so it could be something just as goofy and hard to find as that.

5. Project Reaper

Project Reaper Rockstar 100 Posts

Man that would drive me crazy haha. Ive got a 97 z71 with a decent amount of creaks and noises and im trying to smooth it all out lol. i know how you feel.

6. cmurphy84

cmurphy84 New Member

Mine is definitely some sort of intake noise. I can be parked in the garage and bump the pedal just a bit and it will whistle. I took it to the dealer to have them listen to it, but they wouldn't even listen to it without making an appointment with a minimum charge of something like $50. I told them I'll just live with the noise.

7. BigRobSA

BigRobSA Member

Below is a pic of drivers side leveler.

1) You can keep the rear tires on; just use a 10mm ratchet with a long extension.
    2) Remove the front bolt on the drivers side and then rear bolt unloosen and slide the leveler to the rear of the truck so the rear bolt is bottomed out on the front of the rear oval groove.
    3) Do the same to the passengers side.
    NOTE- YOU WILL NOT PUT BACK THE FRONT BOLTS ON EITHER SIDE.
    4) Now this pic of drivers side leveler is with the leveler pointed down to the ground all the way which when doing the same on the passengers side it lowers the truck all the way till the air comes out of the bags.
    5) When adjusting the driver side move the leveler up to lift and down to lower. Same as passengers side. So if on drivers side twist the leveler clockwise to lift and pass side counter clockwise to lower
    6) You will have to do both sides the same because if you do one side only truck might not move.

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

These instructions are to lower/lift the whole rear, but if you choose one side you can lift/drop it, whichever you deem necessary, and work from there.

1 person likes this.
  8. cmurphy84

cmurphy84 New Member

Thanks. I'll try that out when I get home.

One more question about the Envoy. The check engine light is on and the scan shows that the EVAP system is at fault. I've been ignoring the light for about a year, but probably should do something about it. My understanding is that the EVAP system helps eliminate pollution by sucking the fumes off the top of the fuel tank. Honestly, I'd just as soon plug up the system and bypass it, but fixing it would be better.

I have heard that the charcoal filter just gets clogged sometimes, or one of the solenoid valves goes bad. If I knew where they were, I could probably fix it myself. Problem is, this data seems to be elusive to me.

I cannot find any information about troubleshooting this and the cheapest repair estimate I have is about $300. Any ideas on that?

Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
  9. BigRobSA

BigRobSA Member

First, I'd just try a new gascap.

A lot of the time that's all that's needed.

10. cmurphy84

cmurphy84 New Member

I tried a gas cap from a 2005 (non-XL) and they don't appear to be compatible. I also looked at mine and it looks like the rubber seal is in place, but does show signs of age. It's starting to look dry and micro-cracked.

I'll see if I can get my hands on another one.