Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

2003 GMC Sierra speedometer died

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by 20mercury, Jan 18, 2011.

1. 20mercury

20mercury New Member

The speedometer on my 2003 GMC Sierra quit working, reads zero all of the time when cold and during the initial driving period. Sometimes works after driving a couple of hours but reads 5mph slow vrs GPS.

All of the other gauges in the dash cluster work fine.

I thought the vehicle speed sensor might be bad but the parts guy at the Chevrolet dealer said 99+% sure the dash cluster is bad. 2003 is notorious for this problem. This is a 4wd, Z71, 5.3 T engine with 116k miles.

How can you tell for sure the gauge cluster is bad? Or test the vehicle speed sensor, I think this truck has more than 1 too LOL! Speedometer worked fine before the engine service light came on for a bad O2 sensor (bank 1 first 1). Replaced the O2 sensor and service light went out but now the speedometer does not work.

Thanks for any ideas and/or suggestions.

2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Id lean on a bad cluster since the motors on the guages go out and it is very common and there was even a recall issued. also if you dont have the check engine light on for "Vehilce speed sensor" then i would be on the side of the cluster because it means that the PCM is still recieving a correct signal from the sensor.

3. 20mercury

20mercury New Member

Ok and thanks for the advice, makes sense to me.

I wonder if the first time you get an engine check light for anything, it smokes the speedometer. My speedometer worked great until I got the O2 sensor engine check light.

Will install a dash cluster, any preventative actions needed? Maybe make sure the ground is really good???

Thanks again.

4. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

No the stepper motors just go out on these things i highly doubt it is related. But who knows these days.
    Also they do rebuilds on the clusters which will allow you to keep the correct milage.

5. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Below is what Murdog is referring to Re-guarding the Stepper Motor's.......and How To repair the Stepper motor's the Dash Cluster......they need to come out and the Stepper motor needs to be replaced with new one.....and the New one installed by Soldering it on....Below is a pictures of the Backside of the dash cluster.

The Stepper Motors are the ones circled in Red,

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  6. 20mercury

20mercury New Member

Good info and thanks.

Can you just buy a new stepper motor and solder one in for the speedometer? Other gauges work fine on mine. If so, who sells the parts. There looks to be a vendor on this site that rebuilds the dash cluster for $199. Beats the price on a new one at gmparts direct even at a discount. Also, my local Chevy dealer told me a new gauge cluster is $283. That sounds too cheap and must be his cost to purchase.

Thanks again for the great information!

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  7. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Yes you can buy new Stepper Motor's.........Below is a Link with Step by Step Instruction's on how to remove and replace the Stepper Motor's,

Link,
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/showthread.php?57231-Replacing-Stepper-Motor(s)

8. 20mercury

20mercury New Member

Great info!

Thanks very much for the help!

This is just a super forum, you guys are great!

Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
  9. 20mercury

20mercury New Member

Ok, I am striking out big time finding a stepper motor for my speedometer.

99'HEARTBEAT or others, where is a good place to purchase stepper motors?

Much thanks!

10. 99'HEARTBEAT

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011