2003 silverado 1500HD power folding mirror

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by txmedic1, Feb 23, 2011.

1. txmedic1

txmedic1 New Member

before you say anything, like "google it", or "search the forums for answers", let me tell you, i've tried all that. i'm at my wits end!:grrrrrr:

i have a 2003 silverado 1500 HD. the right (passenger) mirror wont fold in, and heater/defroster does not work. the mirror adjustment and LED signal indicator work fine. i've searched for recalls, TSB's, DIY's, everything!!! if anyone knows if of a possible fix, please let me know. i've seen alot of forums with this issue, but no fixes. THANK YOU in advance! txmedic1

2. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Did the heater and automatic fold in work for you and it just went out recently? For the automatic folding type, you may need to get your computer flashed....not sure why the heater would not work unless the heater or element is broken.

3. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

Are you sure that your passenger mirror is actually a power mirror? Did you buy this truck new & have you ever seen it work? If you're not the first owner, the previous owner could have replaced the original power mirror with a cheaper non power replacement.

4. mfleetwood

Yep..that's the road I was going down too.....crazy minds think alike.

5. txmedic1

txmedic1 New Member

yes its a powered mirror. it worked when i bought the truck. i recently had to change the passenger side window/lock control module. the passenger side lock and window were not working. i dont know if that had anything to do with the power mirror or not.

6. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

Could the wires have worked loose/come unplugged when you were in there working on the window? Do you hear any noise at all from the mirror when you activate the switch? Any clicking or motor hum?

---------- Post added at 12:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:30 PM ----------

Yep, I once ordered power mirrors, I said mirrors, the salesman said "yes both mirrors", & when I got it I spent an hour looking for the passenger mirror switch. Finally checked out the mirror itself & realized it was a manual lol

7. mfleetwood

It sounds like you may have broken or pulled out a wire or two to the mirror, as the harness runs very close to the door panels and under the armrest. I'd check for wire damage caused from when you put everything back together and/or continuity from were the wiring harness enters the door to the mirror.

8. txmedic1

txmedic1 New Member

the mirror still "works". i'm able to adjust it from the switch on the driver door. it just wont fold in or defrost. i thought there was something about having the mirror reprogrammed. anyone know anything about that?

9. mfleetwood

Along those same lines, I did not even know my stock mirrors were heated until I took them off and I had an extra wire. I traced it and found the heating element behind my mirror. It would have been a nice surprise if I wasn't trading out my mirrors....

---------- Post added at 02:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:12 PM ----------

Yes, but if you broke one or two wires, not all of the functions will work. Each wire has a specific job.

I'm not sure about your year vehicle but I am assuming that since they were working before, you should not need to get your comp flashed. For my year, and I believe all of the NBS, you only need get your computer re-flashed if you upgrade from non automatic folding to folding. The heater function works regardless.

10. txmedic1

txmedic1 New Member

i think its a program issue, if anyone knows of the steps to reprogram it, it would be greatly appreciated.