1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

2003 Silverado 1500HD Speedometer Trouble

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by dbach, Feb 8, 2011.

1. dbach

dbach New Member

I have a 2003 Silverado 1500HD with the 6 liter V8. The speedometer is acting crazy. Sometimes it reads 40 to 60 MPH over actual. It even shows 40 MPH or more at a standstill. All the other dash guages/lights are working fine. The problem comes and goes, it happened the first time last week when we were having some unusually cold weather when it dipped below freezing a few days. I live on the Texas coast so freezing temps are rare around here. Any guess as to what might be wrong? Did cold weather cause it?

Any help? I'm not a mechanic, but I can do a few things.

2. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

Its most likely one of two common problems on that year range truck. either the stepper motor or the instrument cluster. the dealership covers the cluster for 70k miles. search the threads for this problem (instrument cluster) and you should find some more detailed responses.

3. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I thought it was 90K miles but i agree about the bad stepper motor.

4. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

x3 Problem with the Stepper Motor for the Speedometer is Going Out/Bad.

The Below Link goes into detail about this which is Common Problem on the 2003" to 2005" Trucks/SUV's....Dash Cluster's(Stepper Motor's),

Link,
    http:www.gmspeedometerrecall.com

Last edited: Feb 26, 2011
  5. dbach

dbach New Member

Ok I guess my truck is weird. The weather warmed up and the problem went away. The Speedometer is working fine.